intro but no bike... yet.

deadchef

CB750 Member
Reaction score
hey all, from northern michigan (which is a cold mofo right now!). hoping to get my hands on sohc before spring. i've got a couple xs650 projects currently. love the look of a stocker or slight cafe cb750.

working on some leads, here is a cl add. thinking of offering $300 and go from there. thoughts?

http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/3568223279.html

thanks!

deadchef

yeah there are too many digits in his asking price. you would never be able to restore that, its missing all the big money parts. all you can do is hot rod it. let me know if you need anything, I am not far away.

sorry, probably should have posted what my plans are.

personally, i like a mild brat/cafe style for the cb's. chops really don't do it for me. i'd like to change the seat, rims, front end and bars. other mild performance bolt-ons. on the other hand i wouldn't mind a pristine stocker but i don't think i'm ready for that kind of personal torture trying to restore something that looks like it's been out in a field the last 30 years.

Welcome! That bike looks real rough! Maybe they used it as a dirt bike? If it's got a title and the motor isn't stuck, I'd give a couple hundred for it. Probably not $300 though.

welcome to the site.
i'd give 300 if the motor turned and had a title. seeing your not into stockers, it's not a bad deal at 300. $750 with way too much though lol

well i gave them a call. it has a title. they said they saw it run 2 years ago before they started to disassemble. i talked with the wife and she said she didn't know off hand what the odometer read. she said that they've had it on cl a few times since last spring but no takers. i offered $250 and she said she couldn't come down that low. i asked what her best price is and she said they didn't want to go with less than $600. now i see why there were no takers! i politely declined and gave her my contact info if she decided to change her mind...

the search goes on...

There seem to more of them on CL around April and May when people start cleaning out their garages and sheds. At least around here anyway.

The posting has already been taken down. Hopefully because you're going to pick it up and not because someone else bought it. What is it?

well i just talked to him and he said he'll hold it till tomorrow for me.
vin: cb750k4234****
motor: cb750e-2355448

$300, 14k miles
cb750.jpg

edit: just called me back and said he sold it. f*&k!

Last edited:
you have to be darn quick in this state, there is 500 people scouring CL every day 3-4 times a day. My son is on it like a bum on a ham sandwich. you should have driven right to it. first come first serve.

yeah, i get it. unfortunately i live almost 3 hours away from midland and i couldn't get a trailer until tomorrow. the search continues...

If they say they are going to hold it, they should hold it. But I jinxed you.. Sorry about that! :doh:

Happened to me once. Well more than once, but the worst time was when I saw a bike on CL about ten min after it was listed at 10:00pm.. I called, said I wanted it and would pay full price and would be there in an hour and a half (30 min to get money and gas, and an hour drive). The lady seemed nice and said she'd hold it for me. 1 hour and 20 min later, I'm 10 min away and my phone rings:

Me: "hello"

Her: "Hi, someone showed up for the bike with cash and it's gone."

me: "what?"

her: "Click"

She hung up on me! I was so pissed. I called back a couple of times and she didn't answer then I turned around and went home. Wasted $25 in gas and two hours. :mad:

That one sure looked like a good deal though! No wonder it went fast.

Keep searching deadchef, they do go quick.

I'm an xs650 guy myself. I have 3 in my stable right now (one in peices). Last fall I just picked one up from cyclebuster (http://www.cyclebusters.com/), he's in Big Rapids and has a shop full of them. He knows what they are worth though.
Lovely country up your way, my sister has a place near Torch Lake. Ever come across a guy who calls himself Yamadon? He's just outside out Tranverse City, I bought a 73 xs650 parts bike off of him a few years back.

You know Yamaha Don too? I have made many a deal with that man, he drives truck for a steel company out of GR. Hell of a nice guy, closer to Grawn actually.
Well deadchef, i have 2 bikes here that i will not be working with. one is a 74 rolling frame with a locked engine, Grepper has seen it, and i will have a 74 frame or 2 extra, and this 78 i have just decided not to build. If you want to get a start on one i can get you a frame and mostly enough to build one, nothing correct or nice here, i will use those peices. but you could get the frame titled, and the legwork done while while you either hunt an engine or rebuild this one.

Keep searching deadchef, they do go quick.

I'm an xs650 guy myself. I have 3 in my stable right now (one in peices). Last fall I just picked one up from cyclebuster (http://www.cyclebusters.com/), he's in Big Rapids and has a shop full of them. He knows what they are worth though.
Lovely country up your way, my sister has a place near Torch Lake. Ever come across a guy who calls himself Yamadon? He's just outside out Tranverse City, I bought a 73 xs650 parts bike off of him a few years back.

i've started a '83 xs chop. full engine rebuild, rephase, bored 2nd over, kick only, blah blah. this is my first chop so i'm taking my time and learning everything i can. good excuse to buy tools. :D haven't heard of yamadon. in fact, i haven't seen another xs on the roads up here at all. i know one guy has a beat to shit heritage over in cheboygan that he wants way too much for. i see its back up on cl today too.

You know Yamaha Don too? I have made many a deal with that man, he drives truck for a steel company out of GR. Hell of a nice guy, closer to Grawn actually.
Well deadchef, i have 2 bikes here that i will not be working with. one is a 74 rolling frame with a locked engine, Grepper has seen it, and i will have a 74 frame or 2 extra, and this 78 i have just decided not to build. If you want to get a start on one i can get you a frame and mostly enough to build one, nothing correct or nice here, i will use those peices. but you could get the frame titled, and the legwork done while while you either hunt an engine or rebuild this one.

thanks cyclebuster! appreciate the offer! are you familiar with the process of getting a title in this state? i went to the local sheriff dept to see if they would run a vin on an untitled bike i was interested in. they told me they wouldn't run it unless i had a suspicion that it was stolen. then they would do an 'investigation'. i pretty much stopped at that point and never tried anything else.

I had the same response from the Indiana State Police. For privacy reasons all they can tell you when they run a VIN check is if the bile is stolen or not. At least in Indiana getting a Title is pretty easy if you have a Bill of Sale especially with older bikes like these unless you bring it in from out of state in which case they get a little weird.

wrong. i am very familiar with the title process. you go to the SOS office, and get a green Vehicle inspection sheet. check off the box marked VIN inspection only, and either take it to the local sherriff or have them come and look it up. all they will do is run it through NCIS, and LEIN, and make sure its not stolen. They will sign and date the form. Go to NADA.com and look up the value of the bike. Print the page. that is a legal appraisal. Fill out a declaration of ownership paper, and tell them you got it from a yard sale, and nobody lives there anymore, or whatever you wish, either way, paper trail unobtainable. SOS will run the numbers and put in a request for title. takes an hour. The title comes back clean, you pay the sales tax on the value, and $15 title fee, and its YOURS. I do this a lot. NEVER EVER TELL THEM ITS AN OUT OF STATE BIKE!!! LEIN AND NCIS ARE NATIONAL ANYWAY THEY DONT NEED TO MUCK UP THE PROCESS!!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1974/Honda/CB750-FOUR/Values

Last edited:
Back