• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Idles Rough and No Power After Being in Rain

katiej

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1978 CB750A that's having some trouble. I've owned it about a year and it has some issues, but it's always been reliable mechanically. But all of a sudden it idles pretty rough, kind of like it's misfiring. And it has almost no power. I'll get 10 feet off my driveway, and it sputters and has almost no power. Then as soon as I close the throttle it just dies.

This started happening after I accidentally left it out in the rain overnight, and I know that can cause problems like this with these bikes. This isn't the first time it's been rained on...I do live in Seattle. But it's never been like this before.

My first thought was electrical. I cleaned up all the electrical connections I could find, and the battery checked out just fine (it's pretty new). Just after I got the bike, I had to replace the ignition. So I made sure to check that out. That didn't fix it.

When it's idling in neutral there's quite a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust, so I thought maybe water got in the bike from the rain. I pulled off the airbox and it was totally dry, and the air filter looks good too.

I'm going to replace the spark plugs next. I haven't done that in the year I've had it, so I figure it's due anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Back