• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How to get replacement keys

mansito

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I lost the keys of my `979 Honda CB750. To make it worst the handlebar is locked. Looking for suggestions on how to get replacement keys. I am in NJ.

Pick the lock on the steering head lock, or have someone pick it. If you don't have key numbers stamped on the ignition, nor is the key code in your owners manual, you will need to buy a new tank lock, ignition, and steering lock.

A good locksmith can make you a new key if he can come up with a blank. It takes a little time (20-30mins), a few bucks and you'll have a new key. You can do it yourself if you have a blank, a good sharp small 3 sided file and don't rush it. Use a little pencel lead or sharpy to mark the key, insert it into your lock and work it back and forth a few times to get the lock-pins to leave an impression on the key. File out the area of contack CAREFULLY with out removing any extra material.....rinse and repeat until the key works freely.

Good luck....

Interesting idea hisvett. Pretty cool. That has to take a while to do, though, right?

This locksmith data manual doesn't list the '79 model year CB750 specifically for some reason, but it might get you off dead center finding the correct blank.

We had to re-key a '99 1500 Valkyrie we acquired for a song recently. The OEM keys fell victim to a contentious divorce. We found the key code stamped on the ignition lock in very small characters, exactly where the Valkyrie forums said they would be. Magnification & very good light were needed to ascertain the characters. The locksmith used the code we supplied & info in the attached manual to produce a working key first try for $13.00 U.S.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Attachments

• MC key blanks.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back