• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How to convert from an air filter to air pods?

hippie if your ever up north stop by to our shop and check it out, or we will have it at the Donnie smith show in march ... i know how you feel man about the carbs, but there 30+ years old and not made to run without the air box, we have learned that the hard way. New carbs are the way to go ! I think they will fit your frame perfect.

I would love to come check it out. I plan to make it to the Donnie Smith show for sure so i will for sure track you down. The more I think about it now, the more I am leaning on getting the set up but would for sure love to check em out first so I can get an idea what I will be working with. I will remind you before hand that im heading to the show too.

On sad note, I put the bike away for the winter this past weekend so now I have all kinds of time to work on it until spring time. :D

im not sure what the big deal was. i put pods on my cb750f 1980 that has a 4 into 1 kerker. changed out the jets and put in 120's and 75's and it runs perfect here in florida. the pods were 20 bucks and the jets were 20 bucks i think maybe less. my step dad owned a motorcycle shop here in florida (central florida cycle n ski) and told me the combo. and it was easy :)

im not sure what the big deal was. i put pods on my cb750f 1980 that has a 4 into 1 kerker. changed out the jets and put in 120's and 75's and it runs perfect here in florida. the pods were 20 bucks and the jets were 20 bucks i think maybe less. my step dad owned a motorcycle shop here in florida (central florida cycle n ski) and told me the combo. and it was easy :)

Then you are the first one ever I hear of to get his CB750 with the CV carbs to run perfect with pods. Congrats amigo. Let's see if anyone else is lucky with that combo of yours...

Then you are the first one ever I hear of to get his CB750 with the CV carbs to run perfect with pods. Congrats amigo. Let's see if anyone else is lucky with that combo of yours...

wow thats kind of cool. i did a lot of research before i bugged dad and others have done it as well. but lots have had trouble. the honda cb750 forum talks about it as im sure they all do.

Well, after jet changes with my pods and having tore them down at least 15 times last spring, I did get the bike to run a lot better but still wont idle for crap (always have to keep a tiny bit of throttle at complete stops). I have tried turning the idle up a bit but then sometimes it will want to idle up and only way to get it back down is to turn the idle down and at a constant throttle while moving it would seem like it was missing due to little to no vacuum needed for the slides to work right but if you let off or give it throttle it would smooth right out. Here was my trick to get them to run much smoother... Electrical tape... Blah!

IMG_20140710_191450_zps80b3c6cd.jpg

But like I said, while it helped, I am far from happy with the way it runs with these stupid CV carbs on this thing so this spring they will be getting tossed (well, not really but taking them off!) and replaced with the dual carb set up from Cycle-X ( http://www.cyclexchange.net/Carb System Comp Page.htm ). I almost put them on last year but I was determined to get these to work and now that I think about all the time and money I wasted I could have just bought and put on that dual carb set up and been done. They guys at cyclex assure me that they work WAY better then the CV carbs on the DOHC 750's and I know 2 people that have the set up and love them and they said set up was WAY easier on them. Its only money right... LoL

i use jetsrus.com for jets, they have name brand jets as well as cheaper jets that still work perfect.

Well, after jet changes with my pods and having tore them down at least 15 times last spring, I did get the bike to run a lot better but still wont idle for crap (always have to keep a tiny bit of throttle at complete stops). I have tried turning the idle up a bit but then sometimes it will want to idle up and only way to get it back down is to turn the idle down and at a constant throttle while moving it would seem like it was missing due to little to no vacuum needed for the slides to work right but if you let off or give it throttle it would smooth right out. Here was my trick to get them to run much smoother... Electrical tape... Blah!

IMG_20140710_191450_zps80b3c6cd.jpg

But like I said, while it helped, I am far from happy with the way it runs with these stupid CV carbs on this thing so this spring they will be getting tossed (well, not really but taking them off!) and replaced with the dual carb set up from Cycle-X ( http://www.cyclexchange.net/Carb System Comp Page.htm ). I almost put them on last year but I was determined to get these to work and now that I think about all the time and money I wasted I could have just bought and put on that dual carb set up and been done. They guys at cyclex assure me that they work WAY better then the CV carbs on the DOHC 750's and I know 2 people that have the set up and love them and they said set up was WAY easier on them. Its only money right... LoL

i was told by several longtime mechanics (over 40 years) that wrapping the pods with tape was absolutely the wrong thing to do.

i was told by several longtime mechanics (over 40 years) that wrapping the pods with tape was absolutely the wrong thing to do.

Like I said, I know its not the right way but I got it to somewhat work doing so and be much more rideable. Still not close to my satisfaction and I am going to be ditching them all together in about a month so they might be for sale soon or just toss om on the self should I ever decide to go back to them.

i use jetsrus.com for jets, they have name brand jets as well as cheaper jets that still work perfect.

sorry yes thats what i meant jetsrus.com. also an update. though the 120 75 35 combo worked with pods and a 4 into 1 kerker. i ended up going with 135 68 35 as my final carb jet combo. its flawless now. :))

Back