• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Help for my dad! Voltage 1980 custom

Curtis87

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad has an 80 custom, he has a voltmeter installed and is getting 15.1v reading anytime he is on the throttle after 2000rpm. At idle it is fairly normal around 12.5. Any ideas ? Thanks guys

Could be simple voltmeter variance. Try more than one reading device. If anything the systems don't charge rather than too much. And 12.5 is NOT normal, the charging volt must always be HIGHER than the battery volts, being the same means there is a problem. Looking for closer to 14 there, it will run all day long like that. At 12.5 all the time the battery will run down in short order. They generally stay happy at 13.5 volt or higher averaged out. 13.5 to 14.5 is happyland, I don't care for 15 but it could work if it never goes any higher than that. Why I say check with something else.

The early DOHC does not fully charge at idle, it only does enough to stave off battery running down about 2000-2500 rpm, the crossover point. Why you don't idle for long periods.

Back