• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Good deal?

Braaap

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone brand new member here. I have fallen in love with the old CBs and have been looking around to buy one in decent shape for a relatively good deal. This forum has been very informative, thanks to everyone.

I came across an ad for a 1978 Honda CB750K for sale locally and was wondering if you guys think it's a good deal or not.

The owner says it runs great and he is the original owner. Never been dropped or in an accident of any sort. He said it only needs a new rear tire and battery. I did notice the tail light and indicator panel seem to be missing in the pics but I will be going to see it within the next couple days so I will see. He has rebuilt the carb himself and seems to know what he is talking about and seems pretty honest too.

Original.jpgOriginal2.jpgOriginal3.jpg

I hope I added the pics right, I always seem to have issues the first time in a new forum. Anyways he is asking for $1750, deal or no deal?

I am also new to the forum. Not sure if you are looking for a SOHC or DOHC. For what is it worth it I pay $2000 for my two weeks ago. It has 7,500. I am going to need new mufflers soon. CloseupEngine.jpgFrontSide.jpgRightSide.jpg

Just my opinion ---- if you like it and it doesn't cost you a small fortune just trying to fix all of the things that are wrong with it, it's a good deal. Just keep in mind that bikes this old OFTEN need a lot of fixing/repairs/maintenance that have been overlooked for many years. It can add up pretty quick!

Thanks for the responses guys. It seems like a good deal to me but I just wanted to make sure. Anything specific with a 1978 CB750K I should look for when I go? I'm hoping I can get it for $1500 since there are a few minor things I already know I have to fix and most likely more to fix that I don't know. Again thanks for the help it's much appreciated.

The front brake master cylinder appears to have a square/rectangular reservoir. The K8 MC reservoir should be round. The tank does not appear to be correct for the model year, but it is hard to tell from the pictures, plus the fact that it has custom paint makes it difficult to tell whether it is correct or not. Looks like RH mirror is missing too. The shocks look to be stock (original) which usually are no good for more than 10,000 miles. The fenders are painted while the originals would have been chrome. I've had my 78' CB750 since 1986 and I still ride it. You can't get one any newer!

Overall, as long as it runs and shifts through the gears without any issues, $1500 should be fair for a running SOHC CB750 with a clear title. $1750 might even be a steal depending on where you are at (California tends to be higher than just about anywhere else).

Thanks again, the bike has 17k miles on it with the original suspension so I guess that's another thing I have to put into the equation. The owner owns a motorcycle shop and will be replacing the primary chain, so I'm not going to go look at it until this is done. I was hoping it would be done by tomorrow since Thursdays are my only day off but it doesn't look likely. So I may have to wait until next week to see it. :(

Back