• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Friction material came off of friction plates inside the clutch

pen

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Clutch was slipping yadda yadda, i bought new plates all 14(?) of them, excluding the double plate for my '78. While i'm inspecting the old friction plates i notice that the material is nearly gone on some of the friction plates. I had also noticed the oil light coming on while the motor is running. Should i be very concerned about this combo? The light doesn't stay on and usually turns off, but i'm worried that those friction pads are clogging the system somewhere? Do I need to drain my oil because of this? The bike otherwise runs fine and the clutch is better than i've ever felt it.

yes you should drain the oil and change the filter because all of that friction material is in the oil. Does the light come on with hot oil or even when cold? It should not come on when its running.If its high mileage engine it could be just worn out. The light can flicker with hot oil at idle but it still means you have some large clearances or the oil pump is not pumping enough. There is a screen on the scavange pump in the oil pan but that would not affect oil pressure unless it cant suck the oil out of the pan and dump it to the oil tank. Your idle rpm should be 1000rpm, lower rpm with cause lower oil pressure. To be certain you should put an oil pressure gauge on and see what it truly is.

Easy enough to drop the oil pan and inspect the pump screen for obstruction. I do this to every SOHC CB750 motor I get my hands on ever since I discovered one like this:

RD Oil Screen1.jpg

RD Oil Screen2.jpg

Cheap insurance and only costs a gasket and oil. Motor ran fine after clearing the screen.

Attachments

• RD Oil Screen1.jpg
    RD Oil Screen1.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 34
  • RD Oil Screen2.jpg
    RD Oil Screen2.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 37
Back