• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fork swap?

DannyBastard

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few nice cb750 cafe builds out there on the interwebz that say they've swapped the forks with a set from a GSXR. Does anyone have any idea what it takes to accomplish this? Can I use my stock (78 cb750k) wire front wheel and just transplant the original brake caliper and all that, or will I need a new wheel and brake setup as well? And do the forks have to come from a certain year or group of years? Thanks for any input! I've never really messed with bikes before either but I don't have money to put into having someone else do it, so here we go...

I think you'll have to use the gixxer front wheel and brake system as well. You could change out bearings in your wheel to get it to fit the gixxer axle I presume, but I don't think the brake disc rotor is the same diameter or the caliper mount on the gixxer front end, to work with the CB parts. Why don't you shoot a question to one of the owners of the bikes you been seeing how they did it?

That's what I was thinking, but I want to run wires...I'll try to track someone down who's done it before. By the way, you should ship your bike and yourself over for the Giddy Up show next year here! It was awesome this year.

Damn. Don't mention that shit to me, being stuck here in freezing-my-ass-off-ridiculous-cold-Sweden. There's so many shows I wanna attend

Do you know Rikard, the guy who won that custom panhead last year? I met a few people from your part of the world in Vegas earlier this year. I want to go visit.

Also, I've found a few places online that describe the fork swap process, and they say best bet is to go with a CBR600 front end and all you have to do is change out the stem and bearings, if you find a complete front end. Very intrigued...

I've seen a few nice cb750 cafe builds out there on the interwebz that say they've swapped the forks with a set from a GSXR. Does anyone have any idea what it takes to accomplish this? Can I use my stock (78 cb750k) wire front wheel and just transplant the original brake caliper and all that, or will I need a new wheel and brake setup as well? And do the forks have to come from a certain year or group of years? Thanks for any input! I've never really messed with bikes before either but I don't have money to put into having someone else do it, so here we go...
did ya get that front end on yet, i love the way the GSXR front ends look, lets see some pics

I have the front end on, but have not hit the road with it yet, I am trying to get a rear swing arm from a 93 600R F2, looks like it will bolt up with a little fab work, but the salvage yard wants $450.00 for everything from the mono shock back so that will have to wait. As far as the front end goes I got mine very cheap, am guessing it is from a GSXR 1000, With a BMW wheel, We cut out the stock stem on a lath by v cutting off the weld on the bottom of the tripple tree and pressed it out, Had the bottom of the stock stem welded up then turned down to just a few thousands larger than the hole on the GXSR tripple tree, then put the bottom tripple tree in the frezzer and heated up the stem and pressed it back together. installed on frame using a set of bearings from all Balls. I Can only image what this would cost if you had to pay for all the work, I know that Cognito has just about everything someone would need to do the swap but its $$$$, I have done about all i can do for little $$ I have to start spending now. good luck with you project, let me know if ya have any questions about the front end.

Sorry man. Don't know that Rikard. At what show did he win that pan? Was it here in Sweden? I change far to many diapers and I'm missing out on all the chopper-stuff. Oh well, it will settle in a few..

Back