• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Engine rebuild

Wbflyer

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to buy a 78 Cb750 and was wondering what a typical rebuild would cost and if anyone knows a good shop in Portland Oregon area.

Thanks!

Is it a K or F motor? stock F2 pistons/rings hard to come by and can be expensive, F head will need to be rebuilt guaranteed. Stock rebuild or performance? lot of things to consider when doing a rebuild on the sohc. Even stock rebuilds there are some things I upgrade. If you want to build some more power into the motor then open your checkbook or get a credit card ready. Best place to have a rebuild is Cycle X or Mike Rieck on the east coast. Not many places rebuild the motors themselves but cater to the diy home builders. APE is fairly close to you for machine work, they are in California. Having someone build it for you is gonna cost you a fair bit more because you are paying for their time and experience. I dont rebuild for others as of now but have toyed with the idea.

Thanks for your reply! It's a K model. I would want a completely stock rebuild. I've heard that the transmissions on these bikes are pretty bulletproof and rarely need rebuilding (depending on how hard they were ridden).

For the most part the transmissions are pretty tough. The dogs do get rounded and shift forks can get bent but its normally on abused or races bikes. K motor will be a little cheaper. Still need to do new primary chains and timing chain and get new honda tensioners for both. There has been an issue in the last year or so with some of the aftermarket rollers coming apart. Heavy duty cylinder studs are an absolute must in my book even for stock rebuilds. The stock studs are much of the issue with the head gaskets leaking. Look for replacement connecting rods...cheap insurance. Cylinder head is pretty strong on the K, if it has some miles it is probably going to need guides and valves. Obviously with the age and unknown miles and the history you may run into stuff you never anticipated. If I was you I would spend some time on the Cycle X website if you havent already, a lot of info and you can get an idea of the price of parts and machine work...you will probably be suprised at how fast the $$ will add up.

Thanks for the info! The odometer states 36k miles but you never know. The PO replaced the rings but I still might tear it down and rebuild the top end. Or, ride it awhile and see what happens. I rebuild my KLR650 with a big bore so i should be able to do this as well. It was very straight forward though..

Just keep in mind when doing pistons on a 4 cylinder you have to do two pistons at a time when putting the cylinder over the pistons. Best to have two people, one to hold the cylinder while the other person works the two pistons into the bores. There are some things to look for while assembling the top end, if you get that far.

I would probably start it and see how it runs, just do all the tune up adjustments first and fresh oil. Take a valve adjust cap off of cylinder 1 and cyl 4 so you can verify oil getting to both sides of the cam.

One of the biggest reasons I havent jumped into building motors for others is the shipping. Having to deal with shipping and receiving engines gets to be a pain and it gets expensive. Not sure I want the hassle, see how the winter goes and whether I have any work or not! lol

Back