• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

engine died going down road

mattb28

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 77 cb750k four I just put pods and new bolts in front brake caliper and to petcock on tank I test rode it around the block and it would not go over 20 unless I hold the throttle wide open and then it took least few seconds for it to reach act to the throttle wide open then on the second time around I was going straight and it just lost power and would not go under load but would rev up in neutral and then died and would not start back up

Tune it up.................seriously, with no other facts than that you get really nothing else. Does it have gas in tank? What about your petcock work? What if the caliper work has now got the caliper locking up the wheel to drag the motor down? How about oil in motor? Battery lost power? Don't expect an almost 40 year old bike to run perfect, it could be totally wore out.................could be 50 things easily wrong there.

You don't mention at all how it ran before the work, asking us to figure that out = kinda silly actually. Not helping yourself at all there.

Bike that runs like crap helped along to then run worse? Easily possible with thinking so basic it cannot work.

No insult intended at all with what I say next but there is a difference in intelligently asking for suggestions by your pre-weeding out common issues and simply asking us to dress children in the morning by asking for literally everything that can possibly go wrong. After all YOU are the one doing the work there. Asking the way you did begs us to choke you with a million different things that could easily waste every bit of your time. Not to mention a good chunk of hard-earned cash. Remember that you still have to think enough to weed out all the things we could possibly suggest, and I myself could come up with literally a hundred or so.

Having said all that, look at the plugs, they could easily all be fouled out from crap engine condition which was left unstated.

Compression check on motor, there is nothing so stupid as wasting time and money on something that is NEVER going to run correctly. I saw it all day long with cars when I used to be in parts. People do it on used bikes all day long and even worse and how it never enters the mind that it just may not run right regardless of what you do is way beyond me.

The battery is new but it did set in a field for a few years before I brought it and then I put new plugs in it and yes it has gas In the tank and the petcock is brand new on the tank to just put it on last weekend.

The battery is new but it did set in a field for a few years before I brought it and then I put new plugs in it and yes it has gas In the tank and the petcock is brand new on the tank to just put it on last weekend.
Have you don't a wet/compression check as stated previously? How's the timing? If lifted do the wheels turn free or are the brakes catching, are the plugs getting a fat spark, etc? Answer all these then move on to the next 100 possible things? Including to, how are the carbs, the carb boots, air leaks, jets, float level any many more? Any one of these can cause the issues you mentioned.

I have a 77 cb750k four I just put pods .....

If it had the stock airbox and you just "swapped" it out for pods, it will run like crap pretty much from now on. You can re-tune the carbs to get it to run almost as good as before.

Compression check or sell it.

Bike 40 years old and part of that sitting in a field just made it much worse. One either gets that or walks home.................never should have sprung for a dollar in other parts without doing that.

I have met the enemy.....................and he is ME.

My '77 CB550F has pods on it and I rejetted it to run 110 mph at 9000 rpm right now, and it WAS left outside by a PO for a 2-3 year period too, but I didn't lift a finger on it till the engine proved out to still have pretty good compression. Got the bike for free. If the compression was down I would have scrapped it.

Last edited:
Back