• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Dual Throttle cable 73 750 K3

Robby368

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, just picked mine up last weekend. It has a push/pull dual throttle cable, and I noticed the "push" cable has been removed from the carbs. The cable is frozen so I'm assuming it's been disabled for many years. Is there a reason for doing this?

Also once the engine gets warm, it'll idle up to about 4K rpms and the only way I've found to calm it down is to flip the choke on for a second or two. This may be a totally separate issue, but I'm wondering if getting a new 'push' line would help it idle down.

Have you tried to adjust the idle speed with the idle screw? Check to see if there is enough slack in the throttle cable. The push cable is more of a safety item, if the throttle would hang at wide open the push cable would force it closed. If all the carb linkage is clean and adjusted right there is enough spring pressure to close the throttle fully. If you have to force the carbs shut with the push cable you have a problem. Check for cable binding and idle speed screw adjustment. Then check for vacuum leaks and idle mixture adjustment. You should also check the carb sync...if they are not synced it can cause the idle to hang and/or creep up. If you dont already have one get a shop manual, it will help with carb sync, throttle cable adjustment, and all the other tuneup stuff you should do with a newly acquired 750.

I'm curious about what you found, mine does the same exact thing when it gets good and warmed up.

My bike has other problems with blow by, etc so don't know if its related to that, but I'll be curious to know what you did if you solve it

Back