Draining Gas Tank

Crabnab

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I've got a leak in the front left corner of my gas tank. I need to take it to a shop to have it patched but first I need to completely drain the tank. I've already drained most of the gas from the tank from the petcock. There still remains a small amount of gas/water in the tank. When I roll it around, I can hear it sloshing.

I've removed the petcock and the gas cap and rolling the tank does not yield anything. How do I get the last bit of liquid out of the tank? I need to run some CLR and then Denatured Alcohol through it at some point in prep for a tank liner once the patch is complete. I'd like to know I have a method for getting that tank bone dry. Thanks!

I use compressed air in the filler hole to dry out tanks, If theres water also, Mix some alcohol in the tank to combine the fuel with the water before doing so.

I use compressed air in the filler hole to dry out tanks, If theres water also, Mix some alcohol in the tank to combine the fuel with the water before doing so.

I'll give this a try, thanks! Any idea where it is that this excess liquid is hiding?

Back