Do I need a new oil pump?

Oliver Boy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1981 750K.
I brought it in 2012 -running perfectly
This poor maligned beast then sat in a leaky freezy garage for two years while I have been doing house renovations.
(Yeah, I know, I hate myself too).
Bringing the machine back to life this summer, I have worked through the more predictable storage neglect issues; new battery, rebuild the starter motor, oil change etc.
I also had to put in new fork seals- while I was doing so I replaced the 15A neutral light indicator fuse.
Turns out this is also the oil pressure warning light fuse; this is now on and won't go away!
The bike starts OK and runs like a champ- took it for a short circuit of the town and it rides good too (although I have kept the revs below 5000, just in case).
I changed out the pressure sensor with a used spare I have on a donor engine ,but that really tells me very little as I don't know if it is good- in any event the light stays on.

IF the oil pump itself IS faulty, are there any other symptoms I should be noticing?

I will replace whatever I have to, but all my parts are from internet and take 10 days to arrive.... I am getting impatient to ride:)

>IF the oil pump itself IS faulty, are there any other symptoms I should be noticing?

Hard shifting and eventual destruction of the engine.

I'm not sure where it would go on a DOHC engine, but a oil pressure gauge is a pretty easy upgrade. I put one on my 75 for about $20.

Thanks Grepper
I really enjoyed the story of your SOHC rebuild; I see you drilled a hole in the castings to mount your switch (eek).
There is a tempting looking threaded section where the current pressure sensor is housed- trouble is it does not have the clearance to rotate a pressure gauge in it.
Might see if I can use the access available and remote mount the gauge elsewhere.....

Well, I didn't drill a hole into the actual Engine case, just a cap on the end of a oil gally. I know if I screwed that up, I would be able to just replace the cap. I screwed the fitting into the cap most of the way, there was enough clearance to screw the cap on with the fitting. Then I could turn the fitting into position, then screw on the gauge.

Someone else might find this useful!
My oil pressure warning light was on because I had pinched the wire to the idiot light (when I re installed the starter motor) creating a short circuit.
Even when the wire was removed from the pressure switch plug, the warning light stayed on.
Having re-routed the wire, the warning light is now staying off :)

Now I have to locate and cure an oil weep somewhere at the bottom of the engine.
Doh.

Last edited:
Back