• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cylinder Head Cover/ Pitted & flaking Chome

Bike_Monkey_Guy94

CB750 New member
Reaction score

I have a 1971 CB750 that I bought in Parkside, SF. It has a story to tell me that I'm unraveling along the way as I give this beautiful lil lady the
TLC she deserves after a couple of owners in the past. From what I learned from the gentleman I bought her from, the owner before him might
have got in a crash and changed some things on the bike. When I got the bike, someone before me had the Cylinder head covers chromed and I
don't think it was done correctly, because the chrome is now pitted and flaking. Now I just want to get it off and polish the Aluminum! Its a pain
in the butt to get off and it just looks bad on the bike. I don't have quick access to a soda blaster or benchtop. Looking for a different method.
I've seen things on Youtube about using Draino Gel type solutions or Easy Off. I really don't know how well that would work and
don't want to go out looking for things w/out a plan. If you could share you insight and even similar experiences/successes I would greatly
appreciate it!​

Attachments

• P1010442.jpg
    P1010442.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 118
  • P1010446.jpg
    P1010446.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 124
  • P1010450.jpg
    P1010450.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 117
  • P1010451.jpg
    P1010451.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 112
Be easier to buy a cheap cover off ebay that is already bare aluminum. They are cheap and they are all the same year doesn't matter. Or have it media blasted then you would have a clean slate to start from without having to work with chemicals to get the chrome off.

Back