• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Cylinder 4 plug carbon fouling

Were you referring to the throttle plate/carb body tightness/smoothness?
Yes. The throttle or the chokes should not be tight. Same goes for your throttle cables. If the cables are stiff, try lubing or better still just replace them. They are cheap to buy. None of this will solve your flooding however. But, while you are working on the carb problem you should also fix any bad cables or stiff throttles and chokes. Are you going to keep both threads going here? I'm not going to keep answering both, it's getting too confusing.

If they are all registering the same as carb #2 I wouldn't sweat it.
Turned out that all the throttles were NOT the same as carb 2. I believe they were binding up due to the oxidized aluminum. Carb 4 especially, would not close enough to cover the transfer ports. I have a suspicion that this could have been causing my rich mixture. I have since gone back to another set which are not oxidized and the throttle plates operate smoothly and register the same as carb 2.

I'm getting lost here. I thought these carbs had been done. Now you need to put on another set?

I know you did, but I thought you just went threw the carbs that are on it. Now you are putting another set on?

I know you did, but I thought you just went threw the carbs that are on it. Now you are putting another set on?
I did go through them. But if the throttle plates are binding against the oxidized aluminum bodies, I don't know how I will resolve that issue. I couldn't sand them down, but I don't want to create more of a mess than I already have. So I'm going to try this other set, and that will also verify whether it is gas or oil in the cylinder.

How did you not notice one carb hanging up when you had them apart? That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around. You could just lubricate the shaft on the one carb and be done with it.

How did you not notice one carb hanging up when you had them apart? That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around. You could just lubricate the shaft on the one carb and be done with it.
We're talking about millimeters here.. that's how I didn't notice it. Lubricating the shaft isn't going to do a thing if the throttle plate physically cannot close.

I think what he is saying is some lubricating may help it close. If it doesn't, probably needs a cleaning first as things build up.

We're talking about millimeters here.. that's how I didn't notice it. Lubricating the shaft isn't going to do a thing if the throttle plate physically cannot close.
The throttle plate as you call it is attached with 2 screws to the shaft. It is the shaft that is tight in the body of the carb. That is common for carbs that have sat. That is a 5 minute fix. But how did you not notice that while they were apart? Now you are starting all over again with another set which doesn't make sense.

Back