• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Broken valve adjustment cap :(

sb750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I was going over tuning everything on my new cb750f the last couple days. Last thing on my list to do was valve adjustment. Got that all done. Putting my last valve adjustnent cap back on. Just as it starts to tighten up I feel a pop. Back it out and this is what I see...

image.jpg

So I have ordered a new cap and O ring already, but my question was is the bike safe to ride with this crack in the cap in the meantime? The threads on the head cover are still fine, and the cap screws in it just doesn't tighten. I really wanted to take the bike out tomorrow and test how she is running now that she is all tuned up I just wasn't sure what could happen if I rode it in this condition. What are your thoughts?

You could run it. I only see two possible scenarios. 1 it leaks some oil there and/or 2 you loose the cap.

You will leak oil. There is a lot of oil in the top end when the engine is running, especially above idle.

That looks like a pretty big crack. I wouldn't worry a lot about the leak, although it likely will... my concern would be whether or not the cap would break completely, the cap become two pieces, and part of it go inside the valve cover.

Back