• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bike starts! New problem!

AaronA1

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I got my bike running, it's starts, and does everything it is supposed to...EXCEPT, I have an after market oil tank, a cylinder type one, and a push in oil cap. So now when I start it, and rev it a bit, after about ten seconds the oil cap POPS OFF..What could be the problem?! Once I figure this out I can finally ride it!!

Vent the oil tank? How should I do that? Drill a hole in the cap? Or drill a hole in the top of the tank? What size hole? Should I put a piece of plastic tubing into the oil so it's not just a bare hole?

I have never seen an aftermarket tank that didn't have provisions to be vented. Normally there is a small threaded hole (1/8 or 1/4" pipe thread) in the top of the tank where you attach whatever you are going to use for venting. I thread a brass elbow into them then thread a brass barbed fitting into that then run hose down and away from the tank. You cant just drill a hole and leave it open the you run the risk of contaminating your oil with dirt, moisture and whatever else goes in the hole. All oil tanks need to be vented or you will build pressure.

Thank you so much for your awesome responses! Unfortunately there is no hole for a vent, so I will have to make my own. Any recommendations for making one? Could I drill I hole, put a well sealed fitting into it, and run a hose out of that and away from the tank? I guess that's really my only option right now....

Ah! Okay I did some researching! So I do have a vent on my oil tank, it's just on the bottom and it has a line that goes to the top of the tank. So I'll hook that up! But, do I run that tube to the breather on the backside of the motor? ...and just put a hose off of the upper part of the engine, where the valves are, and let that breathe openly?

No the vent at the valve cover has to be its own vent to atmosphere. Most people get by with just running a tube off the tank and just letting it vent. The OEM tank has an internal air/oil seperator which vents air out of tube to atmosphere and returns oil from the seperator to the nipple on the back side of the motor case. Just dont run the tube down in front of the rear tire because you will get some oil mist unless your tank has a seperator built in.

Alright! Awesome!! Thank you so much! Now that I got all the venting down, and it starts right up with no issues....the next problem I am having is my cylinders seem to be getting pretty damn hot really really fast. The bike is not tuned yet, timing could be off, but the bike is running. Any ideas what could be causing it to be so hot in about 10-20 seconds.
I did run it with the choke on for that length of time, so that could be it. But just seeing what other possibilities it could be!

Again, you are so excellent!!

You gotta start with doing all the routine maintenance items, check condition and set points for timing and dwell, sync the carbs, check adjust valve clearances, check for vacuum leaks. How hot is hot? It is an air cooled motor after all and it will start getting warm right away.

I'll definitely do all of the checks before I freak out. It gotta pretty damn hot. Enough to where my hand would of definitely burned. I also am thinking it may be running very lean. I have the stock jets. But pod filters, and aftermarket 4 into 1 exhaust. So I'm sure the air levels are way higher than normal. I may need to get new jets.

I'll definitely get the maintenance and tuning done this coming week so I know!

Back