• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bike Shut off While Driving

7t1Honda

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Okay my 71 bike as I went out for a drive yesterday shut off in middle of the road. All the lights just shut off and i couldn't tell why?? Have never had a problem with charging issues but seems odd that it just died. I couldn't even get it kick started like it wasn't giving any spark. Does anyone know what I should be checking or where I should even start from if I can't even get it kick started?

Agree with Stabler. Sounds like a main fuse. Had one with the same issue. Fuse would get hot because it was too long for the terminals and the terminals were a little corroded. The fuse link did not blow but it actually melt the solder at the ends. A little clean up of the terminals and a properly sized fuse, no problems anymore.

My bike only has one fuse on the whole bike and its a 30amp from what I can tell. With that said how many fuses should the bike have?
Lastly when I touch the positive side of this cylinder looking thing (believe it's a voltage regulator or relay) it wants to start. But still when I try and kick start it nothing.

image.jpg

I have no lights still, what's going on?

I touch the right side to the left side of this relay or voltage regulator and it cranks as if I'm hitting the electric starter button. What gives any advise as to what it could be? I'm getting frustrated and want to go riding!!

That is the starter motor solenoid. Someone has been in the electical of that bike because that red wire with the fuse holder is not stock. You need to start tracing what has been cobbled together and you will find the problem. A test light will be helpful to help track down where you do and dont have power. There should be some wiring diagrams on the site to help out

From where I sit, one end of that fused red wire doesn't connect to anything at all... looks like a hole in the end of the wire, maybe where another piece connected to it. That would be the first thing I'd check. I'm assuming that a previous owner just replaced the original fused circuit with a more modern type fuse, which in itself wouldn't be a big deal as long as they made the correct connection.

From what you've described, I'm guessing that your main power wire is disconnected somewhere... and if it's not the fuse, it just might be at that "open" end of the red wire in the picture if it is, in fact, open.

Well, turned out to be that whom ever wired the bike had the black, brown/white wires not hooked up and not getting power to the bike. It was also grounding itself out so I had to disconnect the points, tail light and headlight. Once I traced all the wires and hooked them back up (thank god all the wiring harness was intact) now I have spark and can kick start it. However, now I have to deal with a leaking carb...which I suspect are the needle and seat, but at least it's running now. I will also be putting in new o-rings for valve caps, new tappet for #4 cylinder, shift shaft seal & gasket for the cover.

After getting her running and also adjusting the valves she's purring like a kitten and running wayy better than before considering the new gas leak. I'm excited about getting her back to great shape.

On a different note can anyone tell me how I know if my bike's neutral switch is bad or my bulb on the idiot lights just needs replacing?

Use a jumper wire and attach it to the neutral switch wire under the engine and ground it to the frame or engine with the key on, If the light comes on it,s the switch if not the bulb or wiring is probally bad.

Use a jumper wire and attach it to the neutral switch wire under the engine and ground it to the frame or engine with the key on, If the light comes on it,s the switch if not the bulb or wiring is probally bad.

Cool, going to try that tonight dan1951...always appreciate the help on these forums!!

Back