• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Are you picky about aftermarket parts?

ILockert

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a 77 cb750k and I need to get new clutch lever complete brake lever with reservoir brake lines and new front brakes.
After searching for the last 4 days I’ve finally realized my google is broken, and it seems that the aftermarket world is full of cheap one (price wise) and some look nice, but the phrase you get what you pay for keeps coming to mind and I’d hate to buy something just to realize it’s a POS and have to buy something else shortly after.
So my question is are y’all running “cheap” parts found on Amazon or eBay or do you stick with a certain more expensive brand and if you have bought the Amazon / eBay cheap stuff which ones have you found that are better than others?

Here is my little hobby/toy/space taker upper

Attachments

• 0ACBD348-E933-4273-8C27-B42F288E27E1.jpeg
    0ACBD348-E933-4273-8C27-B42F288E27E1.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 72
I'll bite....
My policy is:
Ebay or Amazon from reputable sellers only (e.g. if they have a physical store thats a plus)
For "aftermarket" I generally go 1.made in USA/Oz or NZ/EU/Japan...2.Taiwan....3.China (generally avoid).

Keep in mind many "too good to be true" pricings on ebay are either counterfeit copies of name brands, or often not really up to specs (false claims abound)...wouldnt buy a chinese brake master cylinder off ebay....

I'll bite....
My policy is:
Ebay or Amazon from reputable sellers only (e.g. if they have a physical store thats a plus)
For "aftermarket" I generally go 1.made in USA/Oz or NZ/EU/Japan...2.Taiwan....3.China (generally avoid).

Keep in mind many "too good to be true" pricings on ebay are either counterfeit copies of name brands, or often not really up to specs (false claims abound)...wouldnt buy a chinese brake master cylinder off ebay....
That’s how I am on most things. With this being my first go at a bike it really is a huge learning curve on almost everything.

I have a 77 cb750k and I need to get new clutch lever complete brake lever with reservoir brake lines and new front brakes.
After searching for the last 4 days I’ve finally realized my google is broken, and it seems that the aftermarket world is full of cheap one (price wise) and some look nice, but the phrase you get what you pay for keeps coming to mind and I’d hate to buy something just to realize it’s a POS and have to buy something else shortly after.
So my question is are y’all running “cheap” parts found on Amazon or eBay or do you stick with a certain more expensive brand and if you have bought the Amazon / eBay cheap stuff which ones have you found that are better than others?

Here is my little hobby/toy/space taker upper
I've been upgrading my '77K bike for the last couple of years. I found the front brake decidedly unsatisfactory, but then I felt the same with my '71 K bike, bought in '71. If anything I find the stock brakes even worse now, as I'm used to two finger brakes on my modern bikes. I completely replaced all brake components, from the master to the caliper, including a new EBC disc to go with the EBC pads. I've had no problems with any of the new replacement parts over some 3,000 miles of use. However, I still find the brake inadequate, and attribute that to the fact of insufficient swept area from the one little brake puck. My answer then became to swap out the entire front end with one from a '77F\SS bike, with twin rotors. I just finished this morning rebuilding a pair of ebay calipers and assembling them with kevlar pads. The calipers themselves are the only parts still OEM. It's been a bitch finding all the needed odds and ends like spacers and dust covers and anti rattle springs. It seems the best place to locate these odds and ends is either England or Australia, however, they want your left arm in payment (plus shipping). My refusal to go that route set the completion back 2-3 months. I hope to be riding the bike again next week.

Bob

Back