• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Advice Needed: '92 CB750, throttle cables were replaced due to sticking, new cables also sticking

AlwaysAdar

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Been a second since I last posted.

I cleaned out the carbs with an ultrasonic cleaner. Rebuilt them and the carb slides snap shut no problem.

I replaced the throttle cables due to them being sluggish with lubing not really making any improvements.
The new cables did fit but the carb does not snap back when the push cable is attached, it does snap back when the pull cable is on. I initially lubed them and re-lubed them with some liquid wrench and a cable lubing tool, no notable improvements. Were also kind of a pain in the ass to get on.

Am going to tackle the cables again in the morning.
Not sure if I caused the cables to bind when installing them.
I was thinking it could also be the throttle tube & handlebar.

Any input?

Loosen the nuts the hold the metal tubes of three throttle housing. Move them around as you twist and release the throttle, see if they snap back at any different position. Have you looked at the spring on the carbs to which the throttle cables are held?

Loosen the nuts the hold the metal tubes of three throttle housing. Move them around as you twist and release the throttle, see if they snap back at any different position. Have you looked at the spring on the carbs to which the throttle cables are held?
The springs on the carbs seem good. I can manipulate where the cables are held and it snaps back sharply.

Right now, I have the throttle tube and housing off the handlebars. I cleaned up the handlebar and wiped down the throttle tube, lubed up the new cables again. I'm going to reattach them and see if there are any changes.

If both cables were doing the same thing, I'm thinking they were binding. I use graphite lube on my cables. But I always check those metal tubes first.

If both cables were doing the same thing, I'm thinking they were binding. I use graphite lube on my cables. But I always check those metal tubes first.
Real dumb of me, I underestimated friction from poor routine. I had the carbs off and was trying to hook up the cables.

think I’ve narrowed it down to the routing. When I move the carbs almost directly below the throttle housing (next to the wheel basically), the cables work no problem.

The push cable locks everything up when I return it to where it should be / was.

Tbh, I had a couple moments when o was just going to throw money at this and let the shop fix my efforts lol

Had the same issue on a 91 , bending the bracket the mounted to one of the carbs where the cables attach solved it ... Not sure why but it worked

Back