79 CB750 - Starting issues, carburettor?

I don’t have the airbox unfortunately, but I will see if I can source one.
The exhaust is a delkavic 4 into 1

Still working on the band clamps, I seen them on vintage750 but if I source the parts off there postage to Aus will end up costing a bomb

I don’t have the airbox unfortunately, but I will see if I can source one.
The exhaust is a delkavic 4 into 1

Still working on the band clamps, I seen them on vintage750 but if I source the parts off there postage to Aus will end up costing a bomb
If you are getting carb kits sent to you then it shouldn't cost too much more to get the clamps with it.

I take it you’re referring to the exhaust valves?

As far as I know the motor is completely stock, you’re probably aware that my mechanic knowledge is very basic and this is a learning project for me. Of which I am grateful for everyone’s input.

Would the 4 into 1 run into problems with the stock exhaust valves as far as you know?

I take it you’re referring to the exhaust valves?

As far as I know the motor is completely stock, you’re probably aware that my mechanic knowledge is very basic and this is a learning project for me. Of which I am grateful for everyone’s input.

Would the 4 into 1 run into problems with the stock exhaust valves as far as you know?
I mean all valves. Let's see if the carb cleaning and jet increases let her run first.

With the jet sizes, the model of carb I have main jet sizes are 68 & 100
I couldn’t see any bigger sizes for the 68?
Would I only scale the 100 up to a 102? Or bigger?

With the jet sizes, the model of carb I have main jet sizes are 68 & 100
I couldn’t see any bigger sizes for the 68?
Would I only scale the 100 up to a 102? Or bigger?
You need a bigger pilot and main. Neither of those 'circuits' should run lean. Look for a jet kit that has few options in the number range you need. But remember you need 4 of each.

quite honestly, It doesn't sound like its trying to fire on all 4 cylinders. are you sure you have all of the spark plug leads going to their appropriate cylinders? you will want to confirm this using the color coated wires on the main harness to determine which coils/leads go to which cylinder.

also, you can check this by feeling each exhaust header to see which ones are getting warm. I'd be willing to bet you have 2 that are cold, and they may have their plug wires swapped.

I will have to double check, the coils were actually one of the only things that were labeled when I was putting everything together
That being said it could still be wrong
I’m hoping to rule out the carbs as a variable once everything is re done anyway so I’ll make sure I check the coils too

verify your firing order, make sure you are getting spark on all 4 cylinders, and do a compression test first before you continue to bang your head against the wall with the carbs. the carbs could still be a problem, but rule everything else out too then come back to the carbs.

jumping back to the carbs though, when you cleaned them did you use compressed air and blow through every single passage? if jetting is a problem, don't try to start it while holding the throttle open because you will be forcing the lean condition. at least with the throttle shut, you are limiting how lean the engine can be with the idle mixture screws. you may have to at most crack the throttle. in these carbs, there is a jet that is pressed into the carb under the rubber plug. this is your pilot jet and controls fuel flow to the idle mixture circuit. if this jet is clogged, it will not idle at all on that cylinder. it has a TINY orifice that can get clogged very easily. I have been able to remove them by threading a machine screw into them and pulling them out with a pair of pliers. this will create threads in them, but will not affect the way it runs because its not damaging that orifice. afterwards, it can be tapped back in with a punch.

If his firing order was out then he would get backfiring while trying to start it. When he started this thread he had gummed up carbs. We have been trying to convince him to go through the carbs properly and get that portion of his problems out of the way. It needs to be done regardless of any other issues. If there is still some problems after that, then he can go onto the next item. So lets keep him focused on that first instead of telling him "he is banging his head against the wall".

after the 3rd time of working on carbs, I would consider that banging my head against the wall. but if you re-read my post, you will find that I offered other advice while also indicating that the carbs could still be a problem. And having your firing order wrong does not always guarantee backfiring.

he has at least one plug thats completely clean. that either means he has no fuel but has spark, or he has fuel and no spark. fuel will wash a plug clean and it is easy to verify all of these other things before repeating carb cleanings.

after the 3rd time of working on carbs, I would consider that banging my head against the wall.
If he had taken our advice he wouldn't have taken 3 attempts at it. If you do things right it only takes once. We can't eliminate the carbs as the problem until he gets them in order. This is where he started. One thing at a time.

If he had taken our advice he wouldn't have taken 3 attempts at it. If you do things right it only takes once. We can't eliminate the carbs as the problem until he gets them in order. This is where he started. One thing at a time.

show me where in my previous posts that I eliminated carbs as a problem.

You need 3 things for an engine to run. Fuel, spark and compression. Why is it such a horrible thing to confirm he has the other 2 before moving back to fuel?

I know the carbs aren't sorted because he doesn't have them torn down far enough to confirm everything is good. Yes he could have other issues but he started with the carbs so he needs to finish that part. I will type this part slower so you don't miss it this time. One thing at a time.

I know the carbs aren't sorted because he doesn't have them torn down far enough to confirm everything is good. Yes he could have other issues but he started with the carbs so he needs to finish that part. I will type this part slower so you don't miss it this time. One thing at a time.

Thanks, since you slowed down your typing, I can understand it better. Didnt mean to offend you with my input. Carry on, master.

The carbs and airbox will addressed first and I’ll check the wiring before it gets cranked again.

Might not post for a while as I have some parts to source, plus back into work and other things

Thanks everyone for the input 😎

Back