• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'76 clutch basket interchangeability

I do believe all the kickstart gears are the same size between all the years.

If you are trying to rotate just the shaft without the kickstarter then no not a chance by hand. You will need the the actual kickstarter on the shaft to turn the motor over. If it turns over with the clutch basket in with the wrench then you cant be bound up anywhere.

yep the hub can come apart there, I have never done it though, you are indeed correct. I am fairly certain that the problem is the gears on the hubs are different pitch or size. I have sold dozens of clutches over the years, but never took an outer hub off nor tried, they don't seem to wear much.

I just checked part numbers to be sure and the kickstart gears are the same number through all the years as are al the kcikstart parts(shaft, spring, etc.)

I was just looking through a book I have and it mentioned the main difference between early and late clutch housing is the late one is deeper for an extra plate but the rest is the same. The inner clutch housings are also different therefor an early outer needs an early inner and late outer--late inner. So to answer one of the earlier questions if you want to run the 76 outer you will need a 76 inner along with the plates and the rest of the 76 clutch parts.

have you ever tossed that stupid double plate, and just put in an extra pair of clutches in an early hub?

I used to run heavy springs for more clamping force but the last two I put in a Cycle X clutch disk set and I cant make it slip. I have heard of doing what you said with the extra plate but myself havent done it. I also heard good things about the APE clutch disks but haven't tried them.

yeah that spacer thing takes up an extra set of clutches, I have dispensed with it several times and added extra clutches

Umm sorry to go off topic a bit but just out of curiosity do you guys know why they changed things and made the clutch basket deeper in order to add that spacer plate? I never really knew what exactly it was supposed to do - if anything except take up space. Does it supposed to have a function?

Back