74 cb750 clunking in 1st

marty shawn

CB750 Member
Reaction score
my 750 wants to clunk in 1st right when you get ready to shift into second, so busted into the case and replaced GEAR (45T)
23421-300-050 and the brass bushing that goes in it seem to have some play, broke my back doing this lol, got everything back together and it still does it, everything looked good inside,shifting forks and other gears! does anybody got a clue, please dont tell me i gotta go back in there again, thanks marty

These clunk fairly loud going into first gear but if it does it going from 1st to 2nd then I would suspect the clutch is dragging when you pull it in...not releasing all the way. 1st to 2nd is the worst because you are going from being in a gear to going to neutral to going into a gear...lot of parts moving.

TRUE I REPLACED THE SHIFTER STOPPER AND IT GOT BETTER BUT STILL DOES IT OCCASSIONALLY, COULD IT BE THE CLUTCH BASKET OR CENTER CLUTCH WHICH HOLDS CLUTCHES AND PLATES , DO THESE WEAr enough to give you these problems? fixin to bust it open again if i cant find a clue! thanks for the input, and it does it on acceleration in 1st going to second occassionally!

Back