Noob to bikes

Obewan

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all, I picked up a 1981 CB750F at a garage sale this summer. I've never road a street bike before in fact it's been 30 years since I've road dirt bike. I was thinking about what to do with it. I'm pretty good at fabrication and mechanics and since the bike needs work I was thinking about customizing the bike or fixing it up stock. The bike runs other than needing some carb work and cosmetic issues it's not too bad. One of the previous owner had a custom paint job done on it, that has some minor chips and it's not really my style.

I'm torn between turning it into a bobber, cafe racer, stock, or maybe even a sport bike. The last is something I haven't seen in my research. Anyway as far as value all things being equal what would be the best way to proceed considering resale value and cost?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Obe

my honest opinion, fix it as it sets, and wheel it to next guy. DOHC 750s to me are a great deal of work for an under appreciated bike. those carbs will be fun!. I just sold a nice 1980 and was happy to see it go. Yeah it ran good, nice tires, etc was in reality a nice bike, but not many people want this model.
My 81 was much stronger then any stock SOHC 750. Figure out what you really want, and go get it.

Thanks CB, I bought the bike for a project, I wanted to build a bobber and thought that this bike would be a good platform, then as I looked and researched bikes on the internet I thought some of the other styles were cool as well. If what you say is true (I've no reason to doubt that) then customizing it would add value to a bike that would otherwise be overlooked, and/or if I screw it up it wouldn't be like I ruined a premium bike. Thoughts?

Obe

You got the bike I say build it. If you are going to build it, build it the way you want it, not how you think other people would want it. More than likely you will never get out of the bike what you put into it when you figure in the time and money spent. Just build it so you will have fun riding it.

Thanks DD, I'm leaning toward the bobber I've always liked that style. I need it to be a soft tail as I have back problems. I'm thinking about a mono shock hidden under the seat. I also want to stretch the swing arm slightly. I think a springer front end if I can find one used that would fit. I'll post some pictures of the bike as it is so you all can see what I'm working with.

Thanks again for the advise so far.

Thanks DD, I'm leaning toward the bobber I've always liked that style. I need it to be a soft tail as I have back problems. I'm thinking about a mono shock hidden under the seat. I also want to stretch the swing arm slightly. I think a springer front end if I can find one used that would fit. I'll post some pictures of the bike as it is so you all can see what I'm working with.

Thanks again for the advise so far.
That sounds like a cool build go for it and make the bike yours

Here's some pictures of the project bike.

cb750project002.jpg

cb750project1212.jpg

cb750project003.jpg

Last edited:
Back