• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

2003 Project Bike - Log with lots of questions.

TwelveGaugeSage

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been riding motorcycles for a bit over 20 years. I took a correspondence course on motorcycle repair shortly after getting my first bike all those years ago. I've done most of my own work through the years, but have started getting into it more recently. I bought a '78 Goldwing last month and enjoyed working on it and bringing it back to life. Then this weekend I bought an 03 Nighthawk for $150 as my next project as I am wrapping up the Oldwing. It sat in a garage for the last 7 years. It is going to need a lot to get it going, but my question is, where would you start? Should I go straight to taking the carbs off and cleaning the whole fuel system?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230806_184836.jpg
    20230806_184836.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230806_184844.jpg
    20230806_184844.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230806_184851.jpg
    20230806_184851.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 48
Yes. I always start at the fuel system. You can diagnose other issues after getting it running, even if for a second. Cleaning carbs and fuel lines, fuel filters, etc. will then lead you to checking for spark and air. After that, oil and filter change, check brakes, then drive system (shaft, chain, etc.), then whatever else you find.
Good luck!

Worry about the carb's internals for now. All jets clean, air passageways clear, fuel passageways unobstructed, bowls clean, overflow pipes in the bowls aren't cracked, throttle operation, choke operation, vacuum lines (if any) aren't cracked, accelerator pumps act correctly. I'm sure there is more. Long story short, open everything and inspect. Lol

sorry to see you live in twoshits.
The 78 glodwing is a great bike.

Take tank off your 93 remove all the plugs put some transmission in each cylinder let it sit for a day then turn the engine over spark plugs out will get the top end lubricated. You should be able to get it running without cleaning carbs depending on how it was stored but you will need to clean the carbs to get a good idling engine.

Been awhile with a few other projects going on. I got the carbs out, broke them down, and rebuild them. Sure picked a tough one for my first carb rebuild, but it mostly went really smooth. I used some motor oil to lube everything up on reassembly into the bike and got it in without too much difficulty. The hardest part was honestly just getting cables all back on correctly.

I replaced the throttle cable that has all the adjustments as the one on the bike was pretty badly frayed. Just waiting on the new petcock to arrive to put the tank on any synch the carbs. Being impatient after doing all that work, I went ahead and filled the carb bowls, hooked up a jumper box, and turned it over a few times. Started right up. Ordered a battery on Amazon and going to order turn signals for it.

Well shoot, looks like my project is over. These bikes are just too bulletproof. Carbs rebuilt. New petcock with new filter. New turn signals. I took her for a ride and was quite impressed. She needs new tires and isn't the prettiest cosmetically, but she is mechanically sound, so time to sell and look for my next project.

Thanks for the pointers! Pics and video will be in the sale forum shortly.

Back