• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1991 nighthawk 750 crankcase seperation

Datboi960

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's necessary to probe into the cylinder heads to separate the crankcase. The service manual says it needs the cylinder heads off to open up the crankcase. I just want to replace the alternator chain (it broke), possibly tensioner/chain guides (might be the reason it broke) and the starter clutch since when I bought the bike it didn't want to button start but it did start if you rolled it down a hill.
Anything helps thanks!

Attachments

• 20240329_191140.jpg
    20240329_191140.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240320_205752.jpg
    20240320_205752.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 15
Are you sure the chain broke. It is an odd setup. Your starter spins your alternator which in turn spins the crankshaft via a little chain. Pull the left side cover off and see if you can turn the engine with a socket. If the chain is broken then you have a real job on your hands. To split the case the top end of the engine has to come off. It is a complete disassembly.

Damn, looks like I do have to completely disassemble it, since the chain was sitting in the oil pan when I took it off. Thanks for the info, I think I'll still tackle it and give it a shot.

Hi m8 can I ask how did you get the two very long bolts out of the engine to remove it . As iv loosened all the small one and taken out what I can but there is two long nut and bots at.the front and back the engine .I got one nut off the back one but I can't get the long bolt to slide all way out or even budge iv jacked the engine up an lowered it to see if the long bolt would move it won't.

The front long bolt I can't get the nut off iv tried heat an cold iv tried all the nut freeing stuff wd40 gt85 even rocket stuff which is very good but didn't budge it the front bolt attaches to the front of the frame with two nut an bolts each side they have come loose but I can't take the engine out as they wedged to the inside the frame . Might have to disk cut the nut off as it's rounded now but I don't was to cut it due to the back bolt not moving won't slide out .lump hammer would not budge it .

Sorry for such long post .

Hi m8 can I ask how did you get the two very long bolts out of the engine to remove it . As iv loosened all the small one and taken out what I can but there is two long nut and bots at.the front and back the engine .I got one nut off the back one but I can't get the long bolt to slide all way out or even budge iv jacked the engine up an lowered it to see if the long bolt would move it won't.

The front long bolt I can't get the nut off iv tried heat an cold iv tried all the nut freeing stuff wd40 gt85 even rocket stuff which is very good but didn't budge it the front bolt attaches to the front of the frame with two nut an bolts each side they have come loose but I can't take the engine out as they wedged to the inside the frame . Might have to disk cut the nut off as it's rounded now but I don't was to cut it due to the back bolt not moving won't slide out .lump hammer would not budge it .

Sorry for such long
I didn't really have a problem loosening the bolts. All I did was the classic explosive turn like I was trying to break a lug nut loose.

To slide the long bolts out of the engine I used a drill with a with a socket and had a second person wiggle the engine while pushing the bolt with a screwdriver and it easily slid out.

Give one of those extraction sockets for rounded bolts at harbor freight before you disk cut it.

Back