• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1982 DOHC Nighthawk electronic ignition on a SOHC?

Daren

Daren
Reaction score
Good day gentlemen and gentlewomen, hope now the weather is better you are getting some rubber on the asphalt.
I was wondering if any of you know if the electronic ignition from a DOHC will fit the SOHC?
The plate the pickup coils are mounted to looks the same size as the plate our points are on,
but I was wondering about the advance mechanism and cam that the trigger is mounted to.

I see these used electronic ignitions MUCH cheaper than the new ones and thought maybe I
could get away with a retrofit that only tickles my wallet.

Thanks.

Aftermarket ignitions are more reliable then the dohc setup. dont know if it would fit probably not, but one issue would be the advance setup is spinning in the opposite direction because it is on the opposite side of the motor. You would have to do major work to change it around because the advance would operate backwards, it would actually retard instead of advance.

Thanks dirtdigger,
shows how valuable forums like this are. I had no idea Honda had repositioned the ignition to the left on the DOHC.
And yes, way too much of a hassle to modify. I appreciate the advice.

Back