• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1979 Steering Stops?

millsmobile

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm missing one, and can't seem to find a part name, number, or drawing anywhere. What part am I looking for? Or is it just easier to find something that works at the hardware store? Here's what it looks like, not sure even sure if this is original. The bolt I can find but....

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_220207039.jpg
    PXL_20230820_220207039.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 40
Try this website for looking up parts: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750four_model14344/
Basically you look up your bike, year, and what country it was made for (parts differ depending on the laws of that region). When you get to the correct parts page, you can look for the part by section. I'm guessing "Steering stop" would be in the steering stem/top bridge section.
Almost all the individual parts have images, and all of them have parts numbers.
Note that some parts have OEM and alternate versions. I recommend writing down the OEM part number.

Appreciate it, hadn't seen that one before. I probably need to take a closer look, I'm starting to suspect that whole fork piece is not OEM on my bike. This is the second diagram I've seen where the steering stop part is there but doesn't have a number, almost looks like it's built in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230820-225603.png
    Screenshot_20230820-225603.png
    375.6 KB · Views: 30
I have a '79 cb750k and my steering stops are nubs on the lower tree that hit a piece of metal on the neck (is that the right word for the tube the steering slides into to?). Just the other day I put a piece of hard rubber between those two metal pieces, 1 on each side, to decrease my steering radius to prevent the bars from hitting the tank. Worked great.

I have a '79 cb750k and my steering stops are nubs on the lower tree that hit a piece of metal on the neck (is that the right word for the tube the steering slides into to?). Just the other day I put a piece of hard rubber between those two metal pieces, 1 on each side, to decrease my steering radius to prevent the bars from hitting the tank. Worked great.
Well I'll definitely stop looking for the part then, its gotta be an aftermarket clamp on the forks. Hardware store it is! I'm missing the right one, so the fancy buttons on the bars hit the tank on the left. Rather than fix it a PO slapped a 2" square of rhino liner looking tape on the tank. :rolleyes:

Well I'll definitely stop looking for the part then, its gotta be an aftermarket clamp on the forks. Hardware store it is! I'm missing the right one, so the fancy buttons on the bars hit the tank on the left. Rather than fix it a PO slapped a 2" square of rhino liner looking tape on the tank. :rolleyes:
Lol. That's awful. Definitely need to change that.

tApE on the TANK??!! Will the madness never end?

Okay, the diagram you shared clarified that those aren't the "nubs" that we thought they might be. I've circled them an re-attached the diagram. Those metal "nubs", which stop your steering from going to far to the right or left, are part of the casting of the lower section of the triple-clamp, they aren't removable.

I should have asked this first: Where was the part in your first picture attached before you took the photo?

PS Google reverse image-search was a good concept but man... it is far from useful.

Attachments

• Steering stop... nubs.png
    Steering stop... nubs.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
tApE on the TANK??!! Will the madness never end?

Okay, the diagram you shared clarified that those aren't the "nubs" that we thought they might be. I've circled them an re-attached the diagram. Those metal "nubs", which stop your steering from going to far to the right or left, are part of the casting of the lower section of the triple-clamp, they aren't removable.

I should have asked this first: Where was the part in your first picture attached before you took the photo?
I mean, on one hand I'm glad the tape is there, but on the other....

The part in the first picture was attached right there in the circled area. I was just over there taking a look at it, this confirms it's an aftermarket clamp. I couldn't see any markings on it but the top clamp is cognito moto so I'm assuming it's that. May check with them but I'm thinking this is an easy fix at the hardware store.

OOOoooooohhh...
The murky waters become clearer. I thought we were looking for a stock part. I didn't know about the after-market triple clamp. Did you just add that avatar image? Maybe I huffed too much carb-cleaner yesterday... and engine degreaser... and WD40... and....

Yah I just put the avatar pic in there today. That's the bike (it's my first one) and I knew it was going to be a bit of a project haha.

I'm locked in a battle to the death with Washington State's damp air. I chase the rust to the right side, and it forms on the left... But at least there's no mold on it!

Here's version 1.0 of the stops. The rubber needs a trim to shorten it but I'm going to fit them up to see if it's the thick side or the skinny side. Drilled a hole in the plugs for a metal spacer, should snug up nice : )

Attachments

• 1000002633.jpg
    1000002633.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 34
Back