• Enter the May CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1978 750K

Maxstack

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi, Has anyone got a complets airbox set-up for my 78' 750k. Mine came with pod filters on it and I am just about to rebuild them, I have heard many horror stories about trying to get these carbs to run with pods.

SOHCs should run fine with pods, an owner induced horror there in most cases. Most likely complicated by condition of an old motor too. I can get pods to work on them all day long as long as the engine is viable.

It's CV carbs like used on the later DOHCs that give pod fits, and even those can be made to run pretty good with them. BTDT. Once again basic engine condition comes into play and with CVs the effect is 10X as bad. CVs and a crap engine are a recipe for failure. Pods on top of that are the gravestone.

Last edited:
yup they will run fine with pods, just takes a little time with experimenting with jetting to get them dialed in. Mostly people are just too lazy to put time into jetting the things, they are always looking for the one size fits all perfect jet setup that someone else has done. Start with a fresh tuneup then go after the jetting. Realize you probably wont find the perfect setup with the first set of adjustments. You will probably run through a couple of different sizes of jets as well as a couple of different tries at needle shimming. I use JetsRUs.com, they have aftermarket jets that have worked very well for me and are consistent.

'Mostly people are just too lazy to put time into jetting the things...'

100% dead on target and I'd go further to say many of them apply the same logic to a weak or failing motor to then cry about why it won't run right. Never mind the engine needs valvework, I'm jetting it up instead. MAJOR miscalculation there and it happens all day long.

Thanks for the information, I have already checked compression/valve clearances etc and everthing looks good. Can anyone give me a good starting point with jets sizes for open pipes and pod filters?

Guy that used to work on my little brother's bikes and something I've also seen on a couple YouTube channels is with both Pods and Flow through Exhaust
Main Jet = Increase by 5
Idle Jet = Increase by 2.5
Shim needle up 1 step
Also said you may need to "tinker" with your pilot screw. I have no experience with this, but that's what I've heard. Hopefully somebody who knows a little more about the topic can give you a more solid answer.

Like I said you have to try different jetting and see how it goes. How does it run now? How do the plugs look? You have to run it and see how it feels then adjust from there. There are too many variables that affect jetting, no two motors will be the same. air temp, altitude, fuel quality, engine condition, tuneup condition, air filter restriction, exhaust restriction all are variables that affect jetting. You have to jet for what YOUR bike needs to run well. Do a search on the site, this subject has been beat to death, everyone wants someone else to tell them where to start but you have to start with what you got and adjust accordingly.

I generally never touch the idle jets as far as changing them, idle requirement changes so little that the mixture screws are enough to take care of it provided the system is open and working. If you can take the mixture screws either way to make that cylinder run worse you don't need to change idle jets, you pretty much have adequate fuel there.

Back