1971 help

the_rooster

Funkenstein
Reaction score
I have a 1971 CB750 that I bought last year as a project bike. I got it running well and would love to ride it, but it is lacking a front brake.

The previous owner took the whole front brake off. There is not a lever or any disc/cables, etc. It has drag bars, and I mock fit a brake lever from a parts guy last year and it seems like it won't fit without rubbing because it has also been lowered.

I also need a new clutch lever :doh:

I had a local mechanic work on it to get it running. He was a custom Harley builder and very skilled Honda mechanic back in the 70's. However, he is nearing 80 and really only helps the local moped'ers fix small issues. He has helped me out a lot and always tells me I owe him whatever I think, instead of charging me. I feel like I'm taking advantage and don't want to be a bother.

What is my best option? Should I just sell it for something closer to stock? So far I have about $580 into it.

So, whydja buy it to begin with?

Anybody heated up hair oil enough to think about raising front end back up or changing the bars? Probably not legal to run around without a front brake, was it a country bike?

Up to you to determine your underwater point, we can't help you with that. If you don't even have a place to mount a disc (as in a simple spool up front) the cost will be higher.

And, based on talk about brake lever fitment, are you saying there is not a clutch lever too? Crazy man, crazy.

Back