• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Entertaining a possible trade.

Papinbrew

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I've been given an opportunity for a possible trade. I need some advice to consider and stew on before I decide what I'm gonna do.

I've got a 1972 CL175k6 little cafe scrambler bike. I bought it last year non running and fixed it up, now it's my most reliable daily rider in the city. A real riot of fun. It's in decent shape, except rust on the upper fork tubes, a dented tank that's been repainted back por15, bad tires, a completely decrepit seat that I've repaired with gorilla tape, and a bent footbrake pedal. The goods are:

No rust anywhere else, super super clean engine (I've spent many hours with a toothbrush and simple green), fully tuned and starts on the first kick or a tiny burst on the electric starter. Runs hard and fast without any difficulty. Has a rear hoop welded in and LED lights all around. Insurance is a whopping 15 dollars a year.

The bike the fella wants to trade me is a 1981 CB750K dohc, with full fairing and luggage rack with locking hardcases. He's had it two weeks from the original owner. Runs and rides, but needs a tune up and maintenance elsewhere. It's gets up to speed nice but has some hiccups. Fork seals leak and front brakes are affected. Newish tires, but not great, missing left side cover. I'm honestly not sure I want a full fairing bike, but am considering it for an investment, I can easily fix up its issues and make it run tip top and then sell it again, because I've already got a 1980 CB750F that I'm building from the ground up.

I need your advice fellas, anything you can offer will be considered.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

I had a '76 CB200 that I drove at 70 mph all day long for 2 1/2 years 36 miles one way freeway to work. They do it all day long but constant rpm at those levels eventually has the cam chain eat into cylinder enough to almost cut it in two for lack of a front chain damper. The engines were never intended for that but the little bike started up just like yours, i.e., instantly right up until the rattle of dead chain started. I had ported the head and pods and carbs modded to fit and used the CL sidepipes with the ends separated and double small megaphones. It sounded sweet.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

I had a '76 CB200 that I drove at 70 mph all day long for 2 1/2 years 36 miles one way freeway to work. They do it all day long but constant rpm at those levels eventually has the cam chain eat into cylinder enough to almost cut it in two for lack of a front chain damper. The engines were never intended for that but the little bike started up just like yours, i.e., instantly right up until the rattle of dead chain started. I had ported the head and pods and carbs modded to fit and used the CL sidepipes with the ends separated and double small megaphones. It sounded sweet.

So you're saying keep the CL175?

Actually, no, I am not. The little bikes are great for limited use but they will not last as long as bigger ones which drive at higher speeds with less % load on them. In short, you buzz them to a quick death.

Back