• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

clutch plate

would it be safe to say that they all had the same clutch?

No. But by "inner plate" if you are talking about the squarish lifter plate with the four bolt holes and the inner bearing then that particular part will work for any year, 69-78. If the descriptions are correct for both ads then all the pieces will work for your 77F model. Suitability of the friction and steel disks would depend on their current condition (worn?).

i'm just looking for the inner plate with the 4 studs sticking out that hold the springs. Looks like mine has been over torqued and the plate has 3 cracks in it now.
Pressure plate?
1696361184726.png

Last edited:
From my experience the only difference is really the plate count. The basket is interchangeable.

From my experience the only difference is really the plate count. The basket is interchangeable.

The later baskets have a wider notch at the outer edge for the outer friction plate with wider tabs and the later hub is just a wee bit taller to accommodate a slightly taller clutch stack. This thread covers it pretty good:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=188394.0

When purchasing new clutch plates is it critical to use the centre plate as illustrated on the cmsl site?. The clutch i pulled out just had a steel centre disc like all the others
7 fibre discs and 6 identical steel discs
What extra function does that unique disc provide.
looks like this on their site
Screenshot 2023-10-06 10.50.28 AM.png

i'll have to have a look, where is the engine number located?
The exploded view on cmsl site only shows the one disc in the centre for the 77F.

Yes, it shows a single part #22322371020 (#6 on the fiche) which is a SINGLE plate made up of TWO STEEL PLATES riveted together...

The engine number is stamped on the upper crankcase near the front sprocket cover.

CB 750E-2242621
looks like maybe the K3 engine?
From the pic i posted of the cracked plate do you think that this unit will be interchangeable with the 73?
I did purchse the one in my post as mentioned (2nd one) and now i'm worried i wasted my money

I thought you were talking about a 77 CB750F, but that engine number isn't correct for a 77' Supersport.
http://www.hondachopper.com/engine/engine_timeline/timeline.html I don't want to alarm you, but if indeed you have a K3 engine in a 77 F2 frame, you'll have more things to deal with other than just the clutch plates.

I would double check that engine number. If it is indeed a K3, you should post a couple photos of your bike. Once you know for sure that you have a K3/F2 mix, you'll need to take inventory of what's what on your bike. Such as... what carburetors you have (77 F and 73 K carbs are totally different), what rear end you have (matters for future sprocket replacement) and so on. But first, double check that number.

Last edited:
that is the correct engine number. I also realize that is not the correct engine for a 77F
My concern is whether this clutch i purchased will fit the K3 engine..Its the second link in my post at the top.
it would appear, as per cmsnl that this is the same part number according to the fiche. The part i refer to is shown in my posts being cracked

I see. Seems like MadMtnMotors answered the question already. I was only chiming in because your post about the date made it seem like you were uncertain of the situation. Good luck.
(The 2nd link is a dead Ebay link btw, they don't remain visible to the public once a sale is over)

Measure the new part and compare to the measurements of the damaged part, although it's hard to say if the damaged part is correct, i.e. a mishmash of mismatched parts may have already been used...

put the clutch back in the bike, freed up all the plates, most of which were stuck together and reassembled in the bike. Still behaves like the clutch is stuck.
Is there something else which would cause the same symptoms as a stuck clutch. I've watched the youtube video over and over again to see if i am missing something.
Any thoughts from anyone here?

Back