• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wheel Rebuild, Axle Collar Question - CB750k4

rhackney

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

Its great to find an active community for such a fantastic machine.

I am currently doing a front wheel rebuild and at the point in the project where it is time to install the new front wheel bearings. I am using the AllBalls kit 25-1307

My current dilemma is this:

Before I purchased a blind hole bearing puller, I made a really enthusiastic effort to drive the old bearing out. In doing so, I deformed the little tabs on the axle collar that is pressed between the two bearings. So deformed in fact that once the bearings came out, I was able to remove the little rings that the tabs are connected to on the axle collar. (See Pic)
IMG_20160323_204937.jpg

Do I really need to have these tabs on the axle collar when reinstalling the wheel bearings?

I don't really see the need for them due to the fact that each replacement bearing is sealed on both sides. I have noticed from parts fiche on later models that these tabs are not part of the axle collar and bearing system.

Please advise!

Not absolutely necessary, they just center the tube up so it's easy to slide axle in all the way. As long as nothing has broken off the END of the center tube then you can put it back together without the little legs, just a bit harder to get axle in. You MUST have full length on the tube though as it spaces the bearings just right to not preload them to fail. Be careful, with the center tube flopping around you could damage a seal on the inside of bearing trying to fish axle up in there. But then you could do without the inside seals too if necessary, I have removed them and packed the entire center full of grease before.

Greetings amc49,

Thank you for your advice! You have confirmed what I suspected, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to drive the bearings and keep the center collar in place while seating the new races/bearing set.

Back