Running at Road Atlanta

Juiced

Old Racer
Reaction score
We arrived on Thursday and were given one of the best spots to participate and watch all of the racing, right next to the tower and the start/finish line..

Road%20Atlanta%20005800.JPG

The Mitty is an event full of vintage cars and motorcycles. There is great fun to be had and no slouch in the speed department. They are hitting 180 mph on the back stretch.

We had made many changes over the winter, more batteries, new chargers, (Thanks Headway Headquarters), better brakes, new racing tires, larger cables.. on and on. We were “loaded for bear” and the bike did not disappoint.

Road%20Atlanta%20222%20800.JPG

One of the new items was the addition of a fan to the motor to fix a heating issue we had at last year’s Savannah event. It seemed to do well but we think on the long straights
The motor was turning so high the internal fan was trying to suck in air faster than the electric fan would let it. In the S turns it worked fine, but I could smell a hint of electric heat (you know what that smells like) on the high speed sections.

4 rounds were run on Friday. The bike ran flawless. The charging went from 10 hours to 2 ½ due to the new bulk chargers. We would charge to 80% (2 hours) and then put on the 2 amp individual chargers for the last ½ hour ensuring a full balance charge for every run.

Road%20Atlanta%20251a800.JPG

The motor seem to be handling all of the heat even though I was getting faster at every round as I learned the track and hit all of my marks. The last round of the day I was flying! On the white flag lap at the end of the long back stretch, the bike… “Burped” .

I pulled it in to the pits and smelled that thing us EVr’s hate. After pulling the brush pack (an older model) only two of the 16 brushes were toast and one other one was cracked. The rest look great and no burned connections.

No worries, we carry spares. Broken in spares at that. 15 minutes later I had it on and let it run on the stand to give the brushes a final break in. I even called John at Motenergy about what happened and he, as usual, answered the phone (late on a Friday!) and suggested what we needed to do to keep the motor happy.

Road%20Atlanta%20323%20800.JPG

Saturday morning was weather questionable, but the skies cleared and I went out on the 11:45 practice. I used the first lap to carefully see if everything was OK.
I had told the crew chief (Tammy) that I would only make two laps and come in.

Road%20Atlanta%20351%20800.JPG

The bike felt so good I ran lap one, then lap two ….heck…. let’s go for it.

On the next lap on back stretch it …..let ….go. Not mechanically, just electrically. One of the other riders told me afterward he saw smoke coming from the bike and thought it was strange since it was electric.

Road%20Atlanta%201%20800.jpg

I coasted to the turn 10 emergency exit and then I heard “FIRE”. My thought was
“Who were they talking about? Not me?” Yup, flames were flickering out of the motor.

He came over running ready to smother the fire (with me and the bike too) I stopped him and asked to please give it a quick and short squirt. He did and it was out!

The powder from a fire extinguisher makes a big mess and is very corrosive. I was not worried about the motor as it was now a paperweight with a cool story attached.
It was the rest of the bike and all that cleanup I was concerned about.

Road%20Atlanta%20346%20800.JPG

The only damage from the flames was the terminal end wrap on insulation. An easy fix.

Cool, my first ride on the crash cart! My only real concern is that Tammy did not know what happened. She did not panic and found one of the HMGP officials to get the scoop that it was a mechanical failure, not a crash.

We got back, cleaned up the minor mess and showed the bike off the rest of the evening.

We only missed one round as Sunday was washed out.

I have to say I am VERY impressed with these motors. Everyone has their favorite brand, but how many have you abused one this much and had it after two years finally give up. (In a blaze of glory no less). I have not been kind to this motor. Racers, even on the street, rarely are. This is designed for 72 volts, and 400 amps for one minute. We were giving it 100+ volts at over 650 amps for laps and laps. I even forgot about re- timing the thing. Impressive.

An awesome weekend!

Road%20Atlanta%20094%20800.JPG

Looks like an EV GRIN to ME!

Wow great race update!! Sorry to hear about your troubles.. you seem to be keeping very positive about it all. I was wondering how hard you were pushing that motor. A few weeks ago I looked up the motor you are using and saw the specs were much less than what you were throwing at it. Will you be replacing that motor with the same one?

Great pictures by the way...

Thanks,

These troubles are things that happen every so often when you torture test different/new technologies. We carry spares
for such emergencies. I have been racing different vehicles from Karting to Blower cars for many years so as long as you are prepared
for these issues your weekends are still fun.

Yes we will be replacing it with the same motor, but it will be a much more improved version. The brush pack
had been redesigned (we were running an earlier version). I will modify it to have a better ability to time the brushes for better cooling.

We also plan on running a different motor cooling setup on the bike.

Fun stuff!

Back