• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Popping 15amp fuses

You use your front brake switch whether in neutral or in gear, so that doesn't seem to be it. Have you tried stopping in other gears?
Have you checked the wiring involved in the clutch switch, brake switch, etc.? Trace the lines to make sure you don't have something miswired. Interestingly, in neutral you have the ground shared by all the lights and neutral. In gear, you don't. So it seems there is a circuit shorting out when it doesn't have the transmission in neutral. Just a thought.

You use your front brake switch whether in neutral or in gear, so that doesn't seem to be it. Have you tried stopping in other gears?
Have you checked the wiring involved in the clutch switch, brake switch, etc.? Trace the lines to make sure you don't have something miswired. Interestingly, in neutral you have the ground shared by all the lights and neutral. In gear, you don't. So it seems there is a circuit shorting out when it doesn't have the transmission in neutral. Just a thought.
That's a good thought Brett and no I haven't tried stopping in another gear yet. I've taken off all of the crusty 50 year old electrical tape from the wiring harness and found nothing that would result in a short. I'm eyeballing the little square black relay or switch located underneath where the original rectifier was located. It looks pretty crusty also. One of these previous posts outlined how to remove the clutch switch so I'm messing around with that today. I'm very confident the wiring in the headlight shell is intact and correct. This is one of those annoying issues that I'm sure is something simple to fix if I can locate the problem. I've got it half assed narrowed down. Thanks a bunch for your insight.

A hopeful update Bret, I believe I solved it. The front brake/clutch switch I'm pretty sure was the problem. I was looking at the starter motor safety unit but that didn't make alot of sense to me. I took the clutch lever off and drowned the switch with WD40. I'm trying to avoid taking the fairing off to replace the entire switch and wiring. I've been out in front of the shop trying my damndest to get that fuse to pop. Every gear and scenario I could think of and the fuse stayed. I never even considered that little booger. Pretty cheap replacement at under $10 but the old one appears good to go. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Glad you're in a better spot! WD40 is good stuff but I always have a can of QD Electronics cleaner on hand for that stuff, too.
In any case, glad you're on the road!

Back