• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Normal operating temp for DOHCs?

brettp

CB750 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I got back from a ride today and noticed the chain noise I've had recently is gone. On a whim, I hit the cylinders with my laser temp gun and noticed a 200° reading from a point on cylinder #4. But moving the laser around found 180°is. I know getting the temp from the cylinders is best between fins near the combustion chamber but is it possible to get a reading from some point that is over 200 and not be concerned?
Secondly, is the normal operating temp right about 180°?
Cheers

Operating temperature of air cooled DOHC’s (without oil cooler) is something I actually tried to understand and figure out this summer, what’s normal and what’s too hot.
Basically I decided to keep an eye on engine oil temperature by installing thermometer in dipstick cavity. Long story short as long as your oil is below 240*F you are ok because above that temp. oil is degrading rapidly thus not doing its job effectively. These motors are tough on oil, so if you go for a long hot summer day rides change the oil often. It is cheap insurance to protect and preserve these old engines!

Operating temperature of air cooled DOHC’s (without oil cooler) is something I actually tried to understand and figure out this summer, what’s normal and what’s too hot.
Basically I decided to keep an eye on engine oil temperature by installing thermometer in dipstick cavity. Long story short as long as your oil is below 240*F you are ok because above that temp. oil is degrading rapidly thus not doing its job effectively. These motors are tough on oil, so if you go for a long hot summer day rides change the oil often. It is cheap insurance to protect and preserve these old engines!
I agree, oil is cheaper than a motor!

Thanks

I got back from a ride today and noticed the chain noise I've had recently is gone. On a whim, I hit the cylinders with my laser temp gun and noticed a 200° reading from a point on cylinder #4. But moving the laser around found 180°is. I know getting the temp from the cylinders is best between fins near the combustion chamber but is it possible to get a reading from some point that is over 200 and not be concerned?
Secondly, is the normal operating temp right about 180°?
Cheers
Don't forget that bare aluminum, or even painted aluminum, sometimes reads incorrectly with non-contact temperature guns because of how fast aluminum radiates heat. If you want to get an accurate reading you have to stick a temperature probe right on the aluminum.

Honestly I don't know a thing about what temperature these engines typically run. In a relative sense my 1980 K feels hotter to ride than both of my BMW's which have their cylinder heads sticking out the sides, and it feels cooler than the other inline-four, a 2002 Kawasaki Concours 1000, which I owned for a short while. That bike had full fairings so the heat would collect and shove its way right up into my face, plus it was a big motor with a big radiator tucked under the same fairings just in front of the exhaust.

If you suspect that one cylinder is running poorly compared to the others, go for a ride to get up to full temp, turn off the bike, and immediately aim your temperature gun at your exhaust headers right where they start to curve. Compare the numbers for all 4. If they're not all fairly close to each other, within maybe 20 degrees F, the outlier(s) are suspect.

The lean factory jetting of our bikes means they probably do run a little hotter than they should, even though they run great in factory trim. If you have vacuum leaks that'll make the heat worse because a leaner mixture makes more heat.

You might use a IR gun to determine differences between pots.....
To get a accurate temp reading youll need to adjust the gun's emissivity setting on the gun using general available tables...

Don't forget that bare aluminum, or even painted aluminum, sometimes reads incorrectly with non-contact temperature guns because of how fast aluminum radiates heat. If you want to get an accurate reading you have to stick a temperature probe right on the aluminum.

Honestly I don't know a thing about what temperature these engines typically run. In a relative sense my 1980 K feels hotter to ride than both of my BMW's which have their cylinder heads sticking out the sides, and it feels cooler than the other inline-four, a 2002 Kawasaki Concours 1000, which I owned for a short while. That bike had full fairings so the heat would collect and shove its way right up into my face, plus it was a big motor with a big radiator tucked under the same fairings just in front of the exhaust.

If you suspect that one cylinder is running poorly compared to the others, go for a ride to get up to full temp, turn off the bike, and immediately aim your temperature gun at your exhaust headers right where they start to curve. Compare the numbers for all 4. If they're not all fairly close to each other, within maybe 20 degrees F, the outlier(s) are suspect.

The lean factory jetting of our bikes means they probably do run a little hotter than they should, even though they run great in factory trim. If you have vacuum leaks that'll make the heat worse because a leaner mixture makes more heat.
i didn't think the bike was running poorly when I did this, I did it out of curiosity. I'll measure the bend at the exhaust to see if a carb is running leaner.

You might use a IR gun to determine differences between pots.....
To get a accurate temp reading youll need to adjust the gun's emissivity setting on the gun using general available tables...
I have a cheap harbor freight gun, it has two modes: working or broken.

Back