• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New project-not a CB750

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't pass this one up. Barn find that sat for 5 years. A 19 year old mechanic apprentice got it running and fixed all the electrics. I gave him $700 for it. Needs a lot of spit and polish but only has 13,000 miles and the tank is clean. I was afraid to cut up my Super Sport but this one is going to get the full blown single seat, de-tab, clip-on bars, dropped forks, rearsets, and rear frame hack treatment. Check out the fairing and seat! Notice the antenna at the rear? It has a CB radio and AM/FM w/ cassette. That's how long ago this thing was "accessorized".

Attachments

• xs850engine_left.jpg
    xs850engine_left.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 109
  • xs850engine_right.jpg
    xs850engine_right.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 129
  • xs850rear.jpg
    xs850rear.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 106
  • xs850side.jpg
    xs850side.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 120
Moto i had a 79 750 tripple, was a great bike it had 81,600 miles when i sold it and still ran well. You wont find a lot of aftermarket support for them, they never really gained a ture following. Nice find have fun with it.

Moto i had a 79 750 tripple, was a great bike it had 81,600 miles when i sold it and still ran well. You wont find a lot of aftermarket support for them, they never really gained a ture following. Nice find have fun with it.

I figured the support thing was going to be a challenge when I bought it. That's why I wanted one that was running. Mods will be mostly cosmetic and looking forward to honing some fabrication skills. Picture attached is kinda what I am going for. An 80's-style racer.

Attachments

• YAMAHA XS 850 SEARS POINT.jpg
    YAMAHA XS 850 SEARS POINT.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 117
Nice find...my father had one just like this, full fairing, hard case bags, I drove it for a while in school...for the year the shaft was surprisingly smooth once you got used to shifting it, cool deal for the miles!

Nice find...my father had one just like this, full fairing, hard case bags, I drove it for a while in school...for the year the shaft was surprisingly smooth once you got used to shifting it, cool deal for the miles!

Thanks tebean. I am looking forward to seeing how the shaft drive rides.

I had a Purple Rain flashback.:D

I like where you are going with the project.

Thanks Vicman. OMG, the Purple Rain flashback, I see it now. Too funny. I am already finding that a XS850 Standard (not Special) gas tank is hard to find but we will get there. Take care.

Do you happen to know what kind of wheels those are in the picture of what you want your bike to resemble? I love those wheels but haven't been able to find them searching online.

Do you happen to know what kind of wheels those are in the picture of what you want your bike to resemble? I love those wheels but haven't been able to find them searching online.

Vicman is right. Those are the stock wheels. The polished rims have been painted black with a gold pin stripe. I think the same wheels are used on the XS750 and XS1100 as well.

Very doubtful this Yamaha is a shaft drive so the rear would have no way to mount up the rear sprocket. I think some of the pre-1980 XS series may have had chain drive and cast wheels. You might want to investigate them.

Back