• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New guy here from Minnesota

Hippie459MN

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Just thought I would drop in and say hello from the Anoka/Saint Francis Minnesota area. Just stumbled across this forum while doing some google searches on a few things

I will give you a little bit about my motorcycle back ground. When I was 16 I got my first motorcycle, a brand new (year old model) Suzuki GSXR750 crotch rocket. Not being a sport bike guy at heart I sold it after 4 short months (The next owner totaled it 4 days later) and bought a 1978 sportster from my uncle and gave it the bobber treatment. I drove that for a few years before selling it for another sportster but had a pacho hart tail frame, 4 inch stretch up and out, and 38 deg rake with an old denver front end on it. Drove that for a short time before selling it only to not have a bike for a few years. Then in 2001 I decided it was time for another bike and I picked up a 2001 Bigbog Pitbull brand new. 107" S&S, baker 6 speed, all the goodies. 109hp at the rear tire. Well, after a year of a $550 a month bike payment I sold it and went back to my roots, old school choppers and had 2 Yamaha XS650s I built and an old 77 CB750 chopper then about 8 years ago the sport bike bug hit me once again for some silly reason and for the last 8 years I have owned another rocket. Well, I had a kid 4 years ago, Im 8 months away from 40, and I just didnt like the sport bike thing anymore so that leads me to here, I just picked up a 1979 CB750 (Yes it is a DOHC) in a AMEN hardtail frame, TC Bros forward controls, risers, 15" bars, Mid 90's sportster front end, and a fresh motor and it runs beyond great! It has a total rat rod/bike look going an and I love that look but I have only had it a few days but intend to ride it and this winter, tear it completely down and make a few minor changes, powder coat the frame and paint the tins while still keeping a rat bike look.

The speedo will be the first thing to go as its not even hooked up yet. Just need to put the new longer cables on it for the controls and it will be ready to ride. I cant wait!

IMG_20130630_142635_zps745c3d91.jpg

Is there anyone else from the Minnesota area on here as well? Would be really cool to meet a few fellow CB guys.

I did manage to get about 3k miles on it this summer then the alternator rotor went south on me. Thankfully I was close to home and a buddies so he came and rescued me. Other then running out of gas 3 or 4 times (No reserve on the tank... yet) it never let me down until the charging issue. I sent my rotor out a while back to get rebuilt but havent got it back yet so the bike has been sitting in the basement for about 6 weeks or so. Thinking im just going to spring for a new one here soon. Lucky me Dennis Kirk carries them and they are only 30 or 40 minutes from my house. Then again, I get free shipping so cheaper then driving there. I plan to make some changes to the bike this winter like a new, bigger tank (This AMEN tank will be for sale too), and different rear fender and some other updates here and there and throw some color on it. Here a re a few pictures of it and the one of my son on it. He just LOVES my new motorcycle and always talks about it.

IMG_20130704_202218_zps4fcc2fa3.jpg

1072301_10201357439316541_21425380_o_zps8e3e82da.jpg

Oh yeah, I want to get rid of the 15" rim and go with a 17 or 18 I think. Now to find one that will fit. I think it will look much better with the 21 inch front.

Damn that's a lot of miles in a short amount of time on a hardtail! I think you're right that bigger wheel would look better. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Just thought I would drop in and say hello from the Anoka/Saint Francis Minnesota area. Just stumbled across this forum while doing some google searches on a few things

I will give you a little bit about my motorcycle back ground. When I was 16 I got my first motorcycle, a brand new (year old model) Suzuki GSXR750 crotch rocket. Not being a sport bike guy at heart I sold it after 4 short months (The next owner totaled it 4 days later) and bought a 1978 sportster from my uncle and gave it the bobber treatment. I drove that for a few years before selling it for another sportster but had a pacho hart tail frame, 4 inch stretch up and out, and 38 deg rake with an old denver front end on it. Drove that for a short time before selling it only to not have a bike for a few years. Then in 2001 I decided it was time for another bike and I picked up a 2001 Bigbog Pitbull brand new. 107" S&S, baker 6 speed, all the goodies. 109hp at the rear tire. Well, after a year of a $550 a month bike payment I sold it and went back to my roots, old school choppers and had 2 Yamaha XS650s I built and an old 77 CB750 chopper then about 8 years ago the sport bike bug hit me once again for some silly reason and for the last 8 years I have owned another rocket. Well, I had a kid 4 years ago, Im 8 months away from 40, and I just didnt like the sport bike thing anymore so that leads me to here, I just picked up a 1979 CB750 (Yes it is a DOHC) in a AMEN hardtail frame, TC Bros forward controls, risers, 15" bars, Mid 90's sportster front end, and a fresh motor and it runs beyond great! It has a total rat rod/bike look going an and I love that look but I have only had it a few days but intend to ride it and this winter, tear it completely down and make a few minor changes, powder coat the frame and paint the tins while still keeping a rat bike look.

The speedo will be the first thing to go as its not even hooked up yet. Just need to put the new longer cables on it for the controls and it will be ready to ride. I cant wait!

IMG_20130630_142635_zps745c3d91.jpg

Is there anyone else from the Minnesota area on here as well? Would be really cool to meet a few fellow CB guys.
From Fridley

Might as well update this post a little, Still have the bike and its undergone two makeovers since I got it and this is what it looks like now. Sportster King tank (I can put 2.5 gallons in it now and not 1 gallon), new custom built rear fender, one off custom built tail light and license play bracket, color matching chain, and of course, some new green paint. And a custom chain tensioner. I also blew the motor up a while back on accident but its all back together and running strong as ever! Just put 150 miles on it a few days ago.

Attachments

• 1979 Honda CB750.jpg
    1979 Honda CB750.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 110
Current picture! Took it on my first outing of the year about a week ago. Yes, it still has all the winter dust on it, yes its been washed since. lol I just wanted to take it out and make sure all was good. And it was.

Attachments

• 349687356_1012410466780186_8417920959932980735_n.jpg
    349687356_1012410466780186_8417920959932980735_n.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 49
I still can't believe I got this basket case 10 years ago and had it running in days of getting it, then redoing it a few times to where it is now. Its by far been one of the funnest bikes I've built over the years. I think because it so bare bones. I wont ever get rid of this one as my son has already claimed it and I made a promise to him to give it to him when he graduates, with certain conditions, and so far he is holding up his end of our deal on that (Just finished 8th grade this year with straight A's). Dont worry, we're building another chopper so I just might get to keep this one if he like the new one better. haha This picture was 3 years ago. I need a new picture like this one. lol

Attachments

• 96949143_10222115411732878_453830257657511936_n.jpg
    96949143_10222115411732878_453830257657511936_n.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 51
Back