• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Is This a good buy?

TorqueAddict

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

This is my my first post (i know i gotta post in noob section first, but i thought i should kill two birds with one post).
I have been lurking around for a few months now, and reading and getting knowledge. Thanks to all the contributors here!
I am looking at this CB750 - its a 1978 SuperSport. I went out and had a look at it in person. I have got a few pictures for you guys:

IMG-20160627-WA0003.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0004.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0005.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0006.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0007.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0008.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0009.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0010.jpgIMG-20160627-WA0013.jpg

The good:
-Everything appears to be there.
-They guy has ownership
-New Battery (lead-acid)

The bad:
-I didn't take it for a ride, but according to the seller, it shifts good.
-Fired right up, but would die on slightest whip of throttle
-The carbs seemed to be flooded with fuel - Like literally fuel was 'flowing' out of them through the (overflow?) port from the float bowls.
-The front brake doesn't work could be anything from leaking lines to broken brake cylinder/frozen pistons
-Rust - it is to be expected on the bike of this age, but it seemed like it was on the surface. i could see a coating of it on the underside of the frame and swingarm area. I tried to capture that in pictures, but light was not favorable.
-Tires are cracked
-Lots of unforeseeable unknowns

Bike has 47000 KMS on it.

I have researched about the potential issues with this particular model, and the most pronounced was the valve guide wear.

So guys what are your thought on the bike - how much should it cost?

Any input would be appreciated - Thanks!

Bikes values very so much depending on where you are at. Around here I wouldn't give more then $500. Its a complete bike it would be a good starting point. You are going to have to do some research on prices for your area.

Bikes values very so much depending on where you are at. Around here I wouldn't give more then $500. Its a complete bike it would be a good starting point. You are going to have to do some research on prices for your area.

Thanks for the reply. 750's are hard to find here in Canada. bikes in good condition go for about 1500-2k atleast.

Will the owner let you check the compression?

If yes you'll need to turn off the fuel and drain the carb bowls, then put about a tsp of oil into the cylinder 1st as it seems the floats are stuck and dumping raw fuel into the cylinders which will wash the oil away and make the reading inaccurate.

If you can get it for $500 and it's not worth saving, the front dual disc and rear disc setups could probably be sold for that much alone as they are very much in demand.

PS "Good/fair/OK condition" = rideable.

Last edited:
This bike is pretty awesome if you can get it for the right price. I have a 1976 Honda CB750F and love it. I picked it up for $400 on craigslist which was really lucky out here considering they are pretty sought after. Carbs are a bitch but once you get them working properly it solves a lot of issues. Sometimes you just have to take a gamble on these bikes and hope for the best! The fuel coming out of the overflow is either stuck floats or they are set way too high, gonna bet they are stuck. Plan on dropping at least $100 to get replacement carb stuff. Good luck with this bike, I hope you end up getting it and enjoy it for a long time in the future (after fixing her up, of course!)....

Back