• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

HELP! Having difficulty seperating the valve head from the cylinder head.

LuckyPapa

CB750 Member
Reaction score
HELP!!!
I'm having difficulties disassembling the engine of my 1980 Honda cb750.
I've beaten it with a 2 Lb. dead blow hammer for hours. I have checked and re-checked that there are no other fasteners still in place. I tried stuffing a couple cylinders with rope and try to bring those cylinders to top dead position. I'm too old to muscle things off any more.

Be careful you don't bend any valves doing that, but you probably have the cams out so that wouldn't apply.

Last edited:
I've never been in that position, but can you use heat to separate them without distorting the metal?

I've used air before but not on a CB. You can get fittings that thread into the sparkplug holes and then make yourself a manifold with 1 airline in from your compressor and 4 lines out connected to the cylinders. With the cams out all the valves will be closed so you are getting shop air pressure (90-120 lbs) in each cylinder. Then use your dead blow hammer to tap on it. Put some of the nuts back on by a few threads to catch it when it comes loose. If you didn't have air you could also use hydraulics in the cylinders.

Back