• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Death of a Phoenix

80CB750F

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Forgive my somber mood, my 1980 CB750F rebuild took a massive step back yesterday.

I was cruising on the interstate when I heard a rattle in the engine. I feared a broken timing chain so I immediately exited noticing the engine beginning to struggle. By the time I got to a safe park the rattle had turned into a full blown thunk. I killed the engine, however not soon enough. As what ever had broken smashed a hole in the crankcase the size of a golfball. Right in the 10 range.

I needed to take the engine down to the pistons this summer, however I had hoped to do it on my own terms.

Any advice is appreciated and if anyone is near the Denver area that knows a good junk lot please let me know in the comments!

IMG_7488 (2).jpg

Looks like a broken connecting rod. Look for a complete motor because the dohc motors are not worth rebuilding.

Bummer. hope you find a swap.
dirtdigger, can you explain why DOHC are not worth rebuilding?
Maybe it will change my mind from getting one.

They are not worth putting any money into, not much aftermarket support, getting to be less parts available from honda and noone aftermarket is taking up the slack, not near the popularity or support of the sohc motor. If something goes wrong in the motor you are better off money wise just finding a replacement...normally cheaper because no one wants them. Stock form the ignition system sucks and the stock carbs extremely suck. There is performance potential in them but there isn't much for parts to take advantage of it. For me I just dont like the looks of the motor but that is personal preference.

Thanks, as time goes on I'm worried about aftermarket support for the SOHC's too.
New listings for new and used parts on fleabay are few and far between.

There are couple companies that are dedicated to sohc parts. As the oem stuff is gone they are reproducing the parts and a lot of times making them better then oem. The sohc has too much of a following...there will be parts for them far longer the the dohc stuff. Lot of us are racing the sohc and new parts are being developed all the time for them. The sohc is alive and well.

Back