• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb & air box installation= impossible task!

bossboy302

CB750 Member
Reaction score
The good-rebuilt carbs, they no longer leak (transfer tubes).
The bad-can not get them back on.
I've owned, worked on, restored, and raced cars for 30 years. This, by far, is the most difficult thing to do in the history of motorized transportation!!
F*&^k me!!

A hot water soak may soften them enough, but you have to work quickly. I have seen carb boots suffer from "oversoak" in wintergreen oil. You might be surprised what a difference new carb boots will make. I pretty much chalk these up to a "maintenance item" and replace them once they are no longer pliable.

Thanks all for the replies-it was a very frustrating day. Excuse my vent...
Now I have new Genuine Honda boots with the numbers stamped. Looks like the numbers face up, and toward the carbs, or....?

Thx

Last edited:
Great, then I guessed right. Got the carbs back on and the bike running with no leaks! Still struggling with the air box and probably for the same reason-aged, hardened boots. I'm ordering those, too.

The good-rebuilt carbs, they no longer leak (transfer tubes).
The bad-can not get them back on.
I've owned, worked on, restored, and raced cars for 30 years. This, by far, is the most difficult thing to do in the history of motorized transportation!!
F*&^k me!!

I just did my 1979. Make sure the carbs a seated to the front. Move breather all the way back and is loose. push boots pass the coupling part to give you more boot, Install inner carbs two and three first the one and four. Seating the coupling on each one as you go.
Walter

Back