• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Help!!!!

mayday2013

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to the page, but I am in desperate need of some info. I recently purchased a chopper. It is a 71 Hardtail frame, with an older 70s CB750 engine. The old motor had some issues, so I purchased a 95 CB750 motor on ebay. My question is, on the motors themselves, are the motor mount holes in the same place? From all the pics of the new motor and looking at the old motor in the bike, they look identical. Please help me here, im hoping this will drop straight in with minimal fabrication. Thank you

Hey n welcome... Your question is over my head as far as knowledge or expertise... Watch for AMC49 or PM him if he doesn't chime in... He knows a lot about these bikes...

Can't say for sure. They're always close but never the same. A couple mm. in the wrong place and can be a no go. You need to absolutely measure points in space, more likely they are different.

FYI, just for the record, I know engines of all types as far as how they work but I do not specialize in SOHC fours, much much more in '79-'83 DOHC though. Just that some things do work the same.

Can't say for sure. They're always close but never the same. A couple mm. in the wrong place and can be a no go. You need to absolutely measure points in space, more likely they are different.

FYI, just for the record, I know engines of all types as far as how they work but I do not specialize in SOHC fours, much much more in '79-'83 DOHC though. Just that some things do work the same.

Went looking online, the mounts are not the same, the front two are more vertical on the later engine if you draw a line from bolt to bolt. The upper rear is off five miles. The late engine is hugely vertical as compared to a SOHC motor which is longer. That thing ain't going to simple bolt-in.

Hope you got carbs with it as well, you could be in for huge disappointment if thinking you are using the other SOHC carbs.

Not saying can't get it in there but you will be thinking about it.

They don't even work on the next gen DOHCs, not by a mile. Taller engine needs shorter top carbs the SOHC hit bottom of tank and no room for cable runs. Most late model engines use carbs far bigger than the oldschool ones had.

Back