Tapered Steering Head Bearings

jbird7262

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some steering bearings and found a company : Pyramid Parts that sells a kit consisting of Upper/Lower taper bearings, shells (races), upper/lower seals, grease and a link to fitting instructions. $ 43.50 Whats the best way to remove the old races? I have different slide hammers and can make a lipped puller to get inside the neck to yank them out, hell, I'll make a attachment for my air hammer !! I've seen race pullers on-line but I'm a cheapskate and prefer to make the part over spending $$. I know many have done this change over, any tips for the unsure?? :yikes:

I just used a long punch and hammer. Then I use a race driver for the races.

I use a punch and hammer to remove them as well. Then I grind down the outside of the old race just a little and use it to pound in the new race.

So you kind of use the old race just like driving in a new axle seal, I could also use a section of brass stock a bit smaller than the neck opening. I know races are hard as shit from replacing them in my Model A. I figure something out, Thanks

Yeah that would work. Using the old race is quick and easy. Lot's of ways to skin a cat.

Back