• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1992 750 steering lock issue

deandeib

CB750 Member
Reaction score
My recently acquired Nighthawk has a problem where I cannot turn the key CCW far enough to lock the steering. I have the unit out of the bike and no sign of any fix at this point.
And, what is the function of the two-lead wire coming out of the unit? Thanks

Does your ignition switch have a metal rod that's meant to pop out when you turn the key to the lock position? (Google Image search makes it seem that way) If so, basically the metal rod is frozen up in there, and you need to get it out. I have this exact same problem with my 77' CB750K.

Have you sprayed the metal rod face with penetrating oil, let it rest an hour or more then tried again? If it still doesn't budge, you may be able to give it some GENTLE taps with a metal punch and a hammer.

A locksmith might be able to help. I'm considering this route.

Last edited:
Nope. The mechanics are free to move and I have put lots of oil and WD40 into the mechanism.
Turns out that the two new keys I had made recently are just very slightly different from the original so neither of them work. And, I just discovered that even the original key will only work if inserted one way. If I turn it over and try it that way, it will not work. Seems that the steering lock position is very demanding of the key that it takes. I'm going back to the key makes and ask him to fine tune the leys.

I
Nope. The mechanics are free to move and I have put lots of oil and WD40 into the mechanism.
Turns out that the two new keys I had made recently are just very slightly different from the original so neither of them work. And, I just discovered that even the original key will only work if inserted one way. If I turn it over and try it that way, it will not work. Seems that the steering lock position is very demanding of the key that it takes. I'm going back to the key makes and ask him to fine tune the leys.
Had that same problem with a VTX1300. The Ace hardware near me still cuts keys the old fashioned way but it did not come out perfectly symmetrical and would only work one direction.

Ah, spare key issue. Good point. In my case, the bike will start, and the seat will open, but that steering lock bolt won't pop out. I think mine is just stuck, but in fact all my keys are just copies. God knows where my original Honda keys are. So... if you use the original Honda key the lock will pop out?

I got to thinking about this problem, and this could be a rare case where we'd be better off buying brand new replacements. I'm all about after-market filters and hardware store bolts, but stuff like locks should be reliable.

If we do get that lock part to come out, and we lube it up, maybe take some 600grit or Scotchbrite to it... we still can't really clean the tumblers inside. If it's been stuck in there for years already, what if we lock up the bike for the winter and come back out in Spring and the bastard is stuck locked? Granted, if you're a daily-driver then it could very well be okay. Good luck with whatever you do!

Back