• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1974 CB750K Part it or fix it?

Tr00b

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey all! Glad to be here!

Ive had this bike longer than any vehicle I've ever owned...

I got it when I was 16 (29 now) and spent almost all summer (back then) trying to get it to run. It was miserable and frustrating and I had no money to rebuild the carbs, and the guy I bought it from accidentally threw away the title. I got it running somewhat, dumped it, hurt myself and burned my hand on the pipes real bad at one point too. This is the story of my life since then.

It had been sitting 10 years when I got it, now its been sitting another 15 years in a leaky dirt floor shed with no air box on it. Its sitting at a 45 degree angle because the kicks sunk in the ground, its considerably dirtier and rustier. I haven't even laid a hand on the thing in at least 10 years.

Time to shape up or ship out.

All I want is a running driving bike to see if I like riding... and I like the CB750's!\

I am extremely mechanically inclined now and could rebuild the carbs easy, and have plenty of tools but not much time and not much cash. $500 is the budget. I'd like to ride it before the season is over.

Any pointers to best assess if it is worth tackling as a project? Whats the best place to get carb rebuild parts and etc tune up stuff i'll need to get it going? If its not worth fixing, whats it worth and whats the best way to get that worth out of it?

I'm going to do the standard crap... oil in cyls etc, compression test, lube up frozen parts look for other damage etc. What sort of "problem" is usually a "show stopper" for these?

I'll post pics tonight.

A bonded title is not worth the effort, due to the amount of BS (in Illinois specifically) that is required. After reading the application for the bonded title, pretty sure I ran into this stonewall when I was a kid. Only other thing would be to bribe the guy I bought it from with home made beer/cash to apply for a lost title (I know the guy, he claims I lost the title, but his dad said that it got thrown away during an office clean out). Based on the condition I doubt its worth it the effort. Bugs me I cant find one in similar condition with a title.

If it has good compression and is complete ish, what kind of money would it bring?

Running with title in rough condition around $5-800.
No title not running less than $500 in my area.
Your first hurdle in getting it running other than gunkked carbies is most likely a rusty tank.

Running with title in rough condition around $5-800.
No title not running less than $500 in my area.
Your first hurdle in getting it running other than gunkked carbies is most likely a rusty tank.

Thanks Vicman, I appreciate your expertise.

As much as I want to fix it I just have to let it go. Ive got it, my CB200T and XL250 and a Kawa KZ750 engine on Craigslist right now for $500 takes all or trade for a project bike.

So far, no takers...

Back