• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1970 honda (didnt like the air pods)

Goldenoldy63

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I 1970 Honda CB 750 is running very good, but there’s a hole in my airbox, if I decided to fix. In the meantime, I put four separate air filter pods on the bike and took it for a ride. It sure ran shitty. on the highway and was not accelerating like it normally did. I didn’t think there would be much of a difference, but there definitely was. Not sure if it was running lean or Ricch on top end, what are your thoughts? Thanks, Rob. also, this is only temporary , as I will be putting bye original airbox back on.

You need to search the forum using "pods". It has been beat to death. Long story short, your CV carb will not work well with them. You will never get your performance back. Switching to pods REQUIRES a change in carbs.

OK very good thanks for the quick reply. It is only a temporary fix til i get my airbox fixed up. I just didn’t really think it would run so shitty. I am guessing that the original airbox is somewhat more restrictive than the AirPods.

You need to search the forum using "pods". It has been beat to death. Long story short, your CV carb will not work well with them. You will never get your performance back. Switching to pods REQUIRES a change in carbs.
1970 doesnt have CV carbs
OK very good thanks for the quick reply. It is only a temporary fix til i get my airbox fixed up. I just didn’t really think it would run so shitty. I am guessing that the original airbox is somewhat more restrictive than the AirPods.
If you bike is indeed a 1970 you can get them to run as good as stock with pods. Go for a ride and where it runs like crap start closing the choke...if it picks up it is lean if it starts bogging down even more its rich. Do this at the different throttle openings. I always start wide open throttle and get the main jet close. then start working on part throttle which will entail the needle jet position. I can get them to run as well as stock this way.

If you bike is indeed a 1970 you can get them to run as good as stock with pods. Go for a ride and where it runs like crap start closing the choke...if it picks up it is lean if it starts bogging down even more its rich. Do this at the different throttle openings. I always start wide open throttle and get the main jet close. then start working on part throttle which will entail the needle jet position. I can get them to run as well as stock this way.
Really?! Why do the '70s carbs work with pods and not the later models?

Sorry for the bad advice, Golden. I assumed I'd it didn't work for the 79-82 carbs, the 70s carbs must have been the same.

Dirt digger. Yes, my bike is in 1970, but I have the original carbs off right now and I’m using CV carbs off and older Honda. They are the Cv carbs. I am planning on using the original carbs in the future but through the Cv carbs on to try and the bike ran great. I remember reading your article about the choke and throttle settings so I had done this with the CV carbs when it was wide open and there was no change. Again, this is just a temporary fix until I get my airbox fixed up the bike ran great with the airbox and the CV carbs, totally impressed with the power it has . I am planning on putting the stock carburetters back on this winter and get it fine. Tuned, was just having trouble with the throttle cables, being four of them. Also, did you make it down to Sturgis. We did not get down there this year.

Dirt digger. Yes, my bike is in 1970, but I have the original carbs off right now and I’m using CV carbs off and older Honda. They are the Cv carbs. I am planning on using the original carbs in the future but through the Cv carbs on to try and the bike ran great. I remember reading your article about the choke and throttle settings so I had done this with the CV carbs when it was wide open and there was no change. Again, this is just a temporary fix until I get my airbox fixed up the bike ran great with the airbox and the CV carbs, totally impressed with the power it has . I am planning on putting the stock carburetters back on this winter and get it fine. Tuned, was just having trouble with the throttle cables, being four of them. Also, did you make it down to Sturgis. We did not get down there this year.
Also, I have found 1969/70 frame that I’m trying to purchase from Indiana. Just waiting on a few things.

Yeah I was at sturgis, I only live 15 minutes away. Was really small this year, I went and it was nothing special. No bike builders there that I saw. Just all around small.

Back