The Walk of Shame

Belle

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So, today I ran myself out of gas, luckily I died out near some good folks willing to help with a gallon from the mower, good uncut gas; they saw me hobbling by & when it went down they hollered off from the roof top, as they were cleaning the gutters, I gladly accepted, they wanted no payment, saw they were having a couple beers & so sixxer of their favorite is going to them ASAP. I made it to the gas station & another 5-6 miles before it decided to, just, stop--no big--only 4 more miles home.
I've been trouble shooting this CB500 for a few weeks now &, even though its not the best way or for everybody, I end up walking & pushing quite a bit, think I have the problems picked out enough to keep from overspending. I have a rusty fuel tank--replace that; the points system (ignition) is working well enough but a new system is preferred--fix that; charging system works well enough & gonna talk to Cycle X tomorrow morning if I need that too work their ignition--gotta then I gotta, maybe I won't; the head seems to be okay but the machine shop down the street will fix it up nice for me if I pull it all apart & put it back together myself--doing that, I'll feel bettter knowing the head is solid & its only a $150 in machinist charges; the bottom end seems okay enough & I'm hoping to hold off on that until this winter because I'd like to really clean & replace some parts, along with some balancing--money is a little tight, fix that only if I need to; transmission is good; & all other stop & go parts have been fixed recently.
I don't mind the walk of shame & thought to push through until this winter, but I know if I do that I'll just nickle & dime myself to death fixing & re-fixing the engine. No, the walk of shame is good in my book but if I do it to many times I get irritated with myself--hell, the machine only does what I want it to. The walk of shame is nice, its that moment to reflect, its a time for you & the machine to come to terms with each other, to relly appreciate what each other does for one and the other.
:rolleyes:

I think that has happened to everyone. I ran out of gas on the interstate once about 1/2 mile from an exit. It wasn't on a CB750, but a bike with a remote petcock. I mixed up the main fuel line and reserve fuel line when I had the tank off, so when it started to sputter, I switched it over to "reserve" but had no gas left. Lesson learned. I had to push it up the off ramp and then coast down a hill to a gas station. It could have been worse, but that was a hell of a work out.

I awoke the other night with horrible sweats. I figured a beer would help, so I sat around sipping a beer & smoking a 'grette trying to put my dreams into something understandable. I decided to skip all of the above, being that I hadn't really let the motor fall apart yet--all I'd seen was NO GAS. So I pulled the gas tank, scrubbing it with a scrubby brush kind of contraption & rust breaker (gonna rinse it later tonight), new spigots, filters, line, cleaned the carbs with 2-3 cans of spray & rebuilt a couple faulty gaskets with some BLACK (CB 500 has O-ring gaskets at the bowls, unlike the 750--or, at least mine do), & ordered a new coil set from Accel to replace the OEM (37 yr old) coils, have a new set of points &, well, I'm hoping that will curb the NIGHT TERRORS. The top end looks good & I hate to dig into that without doing the bottom, plus, I hate pointing fingers at something whenever ALL I really did was run out of gas & draw junk from the tank into the carbs, shutting me down. After a compression test the signs were good & the junnk didn't seem to enter the engine causing problems. It was just to much junk that a little tap & a release of bowls wasn't enough roadside service.
I'll let ya all know how I'm sleeping later--until then...

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK!

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK!

I stripped the carburetor bowl screws!

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK!

Its okay I can fix it

F>>>>>>>>CK!

Back