Will E15 ethanol gas damage the older bikes ?

Stratmanx

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Looks like the current administration is authorizing the change to E15 / 15% ethanol blend gas.

I've heard rumor that this is damaging to older engines, as well as lawnmowers, weed eaters, older cars that don't run on Flex-Fuel.

Trying to determine if I should just garage my bike (1977 750-Four F2) until we get back to regular gas.

kirky

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anything revert back to how it was ? no it doesn't. ethanol is hydroscopic it is horrible stuff for our bikes

Biebs

CB750 Member
Reaction score
"Trying to determine if I should just garage my bike (1977 750-Four F2) until we get back to regular gas."

make sure you run the bike regularly use some fuel additives ( 2 stroke oil to the gas helps)

Last edited:

madmtnmotors

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I am fortunate to have three fuel stations that offer ethanol free fuel within a 10 mile radius of the house. The bikes should run on E15, but I wouldn't store the bike with E15 in the tank. Going forward, I see three options:

1) If you're lucky, run ethanol free fuel
2) Treat the alcohol tainted fuel
3) Drain the alcohol tainted fuel from both the tank and carbs before parking the bike for more than a week

dirtdigger

Staff member
Reaction score
I am fortunate to have three fuel stations that offer ethanol free fuel within a 10 mile radius of the house. The bikes should run on E15, but I wouldn't store the bike with E15 in the tank. Going forward, I see three options:

1) If you're lucky, run ethanol free fuel
2) Treat the alcohol tainted fuel
3) Drain the alcohol tainted fuel from both the tank and carbs before parking the bike for more than a week
I agree it will run on it but ethanol gas left in the bike for any amount of time will cause issues.

ricerocket71

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you cannot get ethanol free fuel easy (like me) i always shut the gas off and run the bike until the carbs are drained.

and always treat your fuel