• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Very slow engine turnover

eightballdh

CB750 Member
Reaction score
My 82 supersport struggles to turnover, I have replaced the battery, battery cables, checked and double checked all connections. I hooked the battery straight to the starter all with the same results. The engine will turn over fast if the spark plugs are removed. I have checked the compression which is normal on all cylinders and feels like it should if I remove the timing cover and turn it by hand. I removed the starter and dissasembled it, everything appeared to be in good working order. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked for corrosion or poor connection on the the starter motor stud? If that is on, then motor or contacts. I would first remove the cable from the stud and clean it up. If no joy, replace the motor bushes and clean the crud between each contact on the armature. I don't think a used replacement starter motor. Ps, check your battery negative to earth and engine.

The stud did have some corrosion on it, I took everything apart and cleaned it and now the engine turns over just fine. Thanks again

Back